PDA

View Full Version : Halo effect

hockeyguy
05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Did u ever notice that next to every bad signal, there's a potential good one? How many times have you heard what could be a nice deep, good tone only to discover it was the halo effect coming from a piece of junk nearby? The only way I know to discover this (besides digging) is to pinpoint over the good one to determine if there's something there or not. Usually the pinpoint sounds good but is drawn to the bad target, telling me this is what I am hearing.

The question is, does anyone know how to determine whether or not there is a good target next to a bad one?

thanks for the help....

coinnut
05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
The dreaded Halo effect lol You are gonna hear some good pros and cons on that issue. So I won't touch that one ;) What machine are you using, and then we can tell you better how to find the two targets when they are in close proximity. Generally, at least for me, you must have a quick enough recovery speed for the machine to hit the first target and then reset itself for the second target before it goes past it. This is done by a quick recovery speed, in combination with a slow sweep of the coil. We can be more specific when we know what machine you are using. Hope this helps a bit.

hockeyguy
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Minelab SE as it says in my signature. I use deep on fast off. sometimes I pick up on this with only 1 target and spend time determining if there is something good nearby an undesirable target. This is what i need to learn better. Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks

aaron

del
05-12-2010, 02:45 AM
i know on my dfx if the targets are just far enough away from each other i'll get a blend of tones together(because i accept very far into the iron range) but if there just about on top of each other or in and area of lots of iron i'll double pinpoint to shrink the target so small that i can seperate the
two and compare the dc phase on each also sweep more over these items and if i like what i see i'll remove one target to get to the other . this has work pretty well in the past for me.

Dan

sjv
05-12-2010, 05:26 AM
Hello. Iv'e found two coins in one hole. A shield nickel and a Barber Quarter. They were pretty much on top of each other and I got a solid two tone signal. After pulling out the nickel did I get a nice higher pitch. It went from the 20's then to the eighties repeatively using an XLT. My theory is dig everything , especially in the woods. Question is: if you increase your recovery speed will you miss objects? Some people swing slow and some fast. Also, I like to swing close as possible to the ground and some sweep a little higher. What's better?

coinnut
05-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Minelab SE as it says in my signature. I use deep on fast off. sometimes I pick up on this with only 1 target and spend time determining if there is something good nearby an undesirable target. This is what i need to learn better. Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks

aaron

Hey Aaron, I probably should have looked at your signature lol I have the E Trac, and even though they are different machines, there are some similarities. I would turn fast on, slow down my sweep and from what I have read from some of the veteran SE users, run all metal, ferrous sounds. (Hope I have that part right lol) This allows the machine to hear every reading and give a different tone for each of them. There is only so much recovery time on the older Minelabs and you have to take advantage of it any way you can. Some people don't like to listen to the grunts from the iron, but I like it and it allows for the best way to hear each target. Someone with an SE may have different or better info for you, so wait for some more replies, but this is one of the things I would try if I just bought one.

hockeyguy
05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes coinnut I agree as I use all metal ferrous for the past year or so. I use fast off and swing slowly. I am very happy with listening to everything unless I am in a heavy trash area. Using fast on and deep on seems to be a bit of a conflict but I know some use it. This is the one piece I need to figure out right now and the only additional skill I would like to learn; except for locating areas with the gold coins that is!

The iron is where the coins everyone else has left behind are!

moseng
05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, a smaller coil may help in the condition you mention. Sometimes, you just gotta dig though! :mad:

sjv
05-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Hey coinnut, what does it mean when you get a good signal and then you dig and then the target disappears or breaks up(iron?). The one I'm really interested in is when the signal diappears.

coinnut
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey coinnut, what does it mean when you get a good signal and then you dig and then the target disappears or breaks up(iron?). The one I'm really interested in is when the signal diappears.

Sal, the times that I have lost signals on my White's and Minelab were due to a curious thing that happens sometimes. When digging a hole on some targets, and you almost reach the item, you tend to lose the signal. Some say you broke the halo, others say it's the air gap that throws off the ground tracking, and you actually track out (ground reject) the object. I don't know which is true, but I have found that when I started out with a good strong signal, and I lose it, I dig a bit deeper and wider and it usually comes out in the pile. Other reasons for losing a signal is that you moved the coin and now it is deep in the hole and against the wall (on edge), or it was a very, very tiny target that was in the clump of grass and when you flipped the plug you lose the signal. If you flip the plug back in the hole you get the signal back. Another way to lose a signal is if it was kinda an iffy iron/ non iron hit and you dig down and break up some rusty pieces. You have now disturbed the big iron target and made it into many smaller iron targets which now do not read well. Those are the things that I have come across, but I'm sure others have found some different ones to.

NiagaraCountyNY
07-28-2010, 06:45 AM
I used the SE and now the E-Trac.I find If go into all metal or pinpoint mode I can seperate the targets most of the time.Sometimes if the numbers and sounds are jumping around alot this can mean there are 2 targets.I have started using 2 tone ,ferrous sounds,all metal to Hunt 90% of the time.With this set-up im able to seperate targets very well. When u get a signal and dig and it vanishes,Go into all metal and re scan.You will find it.Good luck and HH

kenfen
08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm no expert, but I've found that if I approach the target from many angles and check and recheck I can at least make the decision to dig or not dig... it's tough sometimes. My main hunting place is very trashy and there's beer and soda screwtops everywhere. They bounce all over the place. when in doubt, just dig. If I do get fooled, I at least am cleaning the site for next time, eh?

Regards, Ken