PDA

View Full Version : Just more buttons....and a salamander, tick and a snake

Lodge Scent
10-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Headed back to a cherry picked cellar hole I had found a couple of weeks ago. Last time there I found a bunch of buttons but no coppers. I thought for sure I would be able sniff out a copper or two hiding in the iron. But no luck, just more of the same. Can't ever recall pulling that many buttons from a site with out finding any coppers :-\

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/jeffhdfx2/IMG_20131012_164438_942_zps04b49d76.jpg (http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/jeffhdfx2/media/IMG_20131012_164438_942_zps04b49d76.jpg.html)

The washer appears to have been a button at some point. It still has some gilding on it.

Turned over a log and found this nice spotted salamander. I have to admit that when I initially saw the yellow dots I thought yellow jackets, had visions of Dave and Todd getting attacked and was ready to flee for my life.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/jeffhdfx2/IMG_20131012_085334_247_zpsa8e6fd40.jpg (http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/jeffhdfx2/media/IMG_20131012_085334_247_zpsa8e6fd40.jpg.html)

On the hike out, I walked up on a big fat black racer soaking up some late season sunshine on the side of a hill. I'm not afraid of snakes but I was not expecting to see a big snake just in front of me in the scrub oaks. The snake bolted just as I saw it and I jumped back about 5 feet :shocked03: Glad no one was with me because I probably gave a shriek too :embarrassed:

Pulled a deer tick off my back when I got home. First one since the spring.

Stay safe.

Jeff

del
10-12-2013, 04:41 PM
congrats on the buttons Jeff , its amazing how many more buttons and small targets you can find with a good stable coil. don't see the spotted salamanders as much as those little orange ones .

Dan

aloldstuff
10-13-2013, 05:56 AM
Nice group of buttons. Where I used to live those yellow spotted salamanders were everywhere during the mating season. We would have people come up to the street to watch them cross over to the swamp. Protected species....$500 fine for possessing one(I think).

Lodge Scent
10-14-2013, 05:45 PM
congrats on the buttons Jeff , its amazing how many more buttons and small targets you can find with a good stable coil. don't see the spotted salamanders as much as those little orange ones .

Dan

You are right Dan. The new coil is a lot more stable. I can crank PAG up to 3 with a high AC and it is still quiet. Easier to get a good ground balance also.

Nice group of buttons. Where I used to live those yellow spotted salamanders were everywhere during the mating season. We would have people come up to the street to watch them cross over to the swamp. Protected species....$500 fine for possessing one(I think).

Aloldstuff, on a mild night in late March early April, those spotted salamanders come out from under the leaf litter and head for vernal pools that they use for mating. If you ever get a chance, check it out, the display they put on is pretty cool actually. There are a couple of environmental groups in my area that have organized night hikes just for that each year.

The Rebel
10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
This is a carpet python I stumbled upon a few weeks ago. :omg: Scared the BeJesus outta me :shocked04:

Was about 5' long & thick as a baseball bat. Some loser dumped their pet & it died of exposure

Lodge Scent
10-15-2013, 07:42 PM
:shocked03: Yow! Stumbling upon a snake that big Rebel, will make you move in ways you didn't think you were capable of....even if it is dead !

del
10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
This is a carpet python I stumbled upon a few weeks ago. :omg: Scared the BeJesus outta me :shocked04:

Was about 5' long & thick as a baseball bat. Some loser dumped their pet & it died of exposure

thats definately a Burmese python ( just a little guy too) , before my kids i had one of them , a ball python and a a red tail boa.

coinnut
10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Call me crazy, but I like hunting them beat up sites. I guess it's the challenge of finding something that everyone else missed. :dontknow: