PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Find in the Woods

bob_e99
10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Wood hunting can sometimes lead to some very interesting finds that does not involve something you dig up. Here are some pictures of something that really amazed me. I can state without doubt that the metal circle does not have a weld mark indicating some kind of a prank.

Thanks for looking.

z118
10-12-2013, 05:18 PM
That's pretty dang cool... Trees do some nifty things sometimes. Reminds me of the ending to Red Ranger Came Calling by Berkeley Breathed. If anyone has not read that book I promise you it is absolutely the best yarn you will ever encounter.

del
10-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Bob ,
Coinnut and I see similar things out about while looking for cellar holes . no doubt that wagon wheel has been there longer than the tree that grew up through it . we commonly see old barb wire sticking out of the middle of large trees , I think HEAVYMETALNUT posted a large two-man hand saw blade sticking out of a huge tree 6 feet high off the ground. cool picture |:cheering: |:cheering:

coinnut
10-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Yep, walking to one of our sites, we were always happy to see our wagon wheel hoop. That way we knew we were still on the path lol

Boulder
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Very interesting find.
It looks like a placard above the hoop on the tree, does it give an indication
as to the artist or when the project was started?
It's amazing what one can come across in even the most remote places. :->

bob_e99
10-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Very interesting find.
It looks like a placard above the hoop on the tree, does it give an indication
as to the artist or when the project was started?
It's amazing what one can come across in even the most remote places. :->

Boulder, the placard on the tree is just an arrow pointing to a trail. This was not art or a project but just a disposed wagon wheel that happened to have a tree grow through it. That land was private property until acquired by the town for preservation in the mid 90's. Someone raised the hoop off the ground so people could get a better view of it.

thanks for your comments.

tanacat
10-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Very cool! I found an old key with thick root thru the hole that looks pretty neat...

Boulder
10-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Boulder, the placard on the tree is just an arrow pointing to a trail. This was not art or a project but just a disposed wagon wheel that happened to have a tree grow through it. That land was private property until acquired by the town for preservation in the mid 90's. Someone raised the hoop off the ground so people could get a better view of it.

thanks for your comments.

Thanks for the additional history on the wheel, it makes for an enjoyable story.
Your photography was very good as well.
Best of luck on your next unusual find, John |:cheering: