PDA

View Full Version : Potential Rochambeau campsite turns up* not much lol*1 copper & silver

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Got permission to hunt a tract of land in the vicinity of where General Rochambeau and his french army camped during the Revolutionary War.the guy that got me permission lives in a house around the corner and found a bayonet in his yard 30 years ago.everything seemed right.the same road,nice chunk of woods and the old house across the st was a tavern that the commanders frequented during their stay.i was pumped when walking in there.nice walls hardly any trash but hardly any targets.no buttons.i got a lone wiped out toasted copper,a few brass scraps and near the wall a great signal! a sterling pocket knife 2 ox shoes & 2 horse shoes
After i felt i hunted this area good i walked down to the guys house and he let me hit his yard.i got 2 wheaties .his house was built in 1890 but a small yard and filled in crying01.one nice iron signal in his yard i dig down see a pointed tip..i'm like yeah baby!!!!!!!! bayonet!!!!!!!!!!!! ummmm old rusty file.wasn't a bad day i suppose but a bummer when you have visions of french rev war buttons etc and walk out with your tail between your legs :embarrassed:
If anyone has any info on the hallmarks on this knife & company/age etc I'd appreciate it.i'm figuring 1940's or so? one stainless blade and apparently the other wasn't stainless as it fell apart as i was cleaning it which loosened up the good blade ad now i'm able to open it up
Hopefully Todd & me have a good day sunday!

del
10-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Dave , its never easy looking for something specific at a site and your quick to get discouraged when you don't . searching large areas is very time consuming with one or two coils and it could take you a half a dozen trips to that spot before you turn up anything. congrats on the sterling knife |:cheering: |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Dave , its never easy looking for something specific at a site and your quick to get discouraged when you don't . searching large areas is very time consuming with one or two coils and it could take you a half a dozen trips to that spot before you turn up anything. congrats on the sterling knife |:cheering: |:cheering:

theres only a few patches of leafy ground Dan,the rest is super thick barberries unwalkable nevermind detectable.i think they camped at a very large field just up the road.acres of open hayfields behind a colonial home.there is a smaller hayfield adjacent to this wooded area that i have permission to detect when its cut in a few weeks

aloldstuff
10-13-2013, 05:46 AM
:congrats: on the sterling knife and hope the return trip will produce those rev war items you are searching for.

Lodge Scent
10-13-2013, 07:22 PM
That is a NICE knife. Those Rev War goodies could be just across the street waiting for you.

Tony Two-Cent
10-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Very cool sterling silver knife! Interesting that someone tried to add to the initials by adding an M at the beginning.

I guess it's all relative, I would be happy to find ANY old copper here in Illinois.

Best of luck hunting the adjacent hay field after it's cut! |:cheering:

coinnut
10-16-2013, 06:04 PM
That toasted copper almost looks like a Fugio or Nova :dontknow: Nice sterling knife. It isn't the hunt you wanted, but not a bad hunt anyways thumbsup01

milco
10-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Sounds like nice potential, good luck on those wheat fields in a few weeks!