PDA

View Full Version : First Time MD'ing. I am HOOKED!

largo45
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Been wanting a Garrett 250 or AT PRO but wasn't sure if I would like hunting. So I spent $46 and bought a cheap MD from Harbor Freight to use as a trial.

This morning I went to the beach and hit the silver (.925) dangle earring within 5 minutes! Followed by a 2010 quarter, a 2004 dime, a lighter, the inevitable pull-tab and a part of a fishing reel.

What a blast!

The quarter was completely encapsulated in some kind of hard crud, I thought it a button until I got home and got a better look. The crud was so baked on that the image of Washington is still visible on the crud piece that flaked off.

Hunted for exactly one hour before work, great exercise and a lovely fall day in Galveston.

I will probably use the HF machine for a couple of weeks while I vacillate between the 250 and the AT PRO.

The outing did convince me that I need a pointer and a sand scoop also.

Tony Two-Cent
10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
It sounds like you had fun on your first hunt! :yes:

Not many people can claim that they found silver on their very first hunt, that's awesome! |:cheering:

Now you see how easy it is to become addicted to metal detecting. thumbsup01

Congrats on your finds, I hope they are the first of many! :clapping:

del
10-16-2013, 03:52 PM
silver on your first hunt :wow: :clapping: :clapping: your spoiled now lol lol now you'll expect it on every hunt ;) congrats Largo

aloldstuff
10-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Glad to see that you dipped your toes into the metal detecting ocean. Finding silver on your 1st outing is fantastic. Being equipped with the right tools makes for quicker recoveries. Looking forward to your future posts. The 2 detectors that you have picked as choices for your next one are both great ones. You'll be surprised at how fast the detectors pay for themselves.

coinnut
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Nice first hunt and congrats for sticking with it lol Some people would have said forget it after not finding 5 gold rings in 10 minutes 8/ Great job. The hardest part about metal detecting is finding the time to do it.

Fire Fighter 43
10-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Silver your first time out! WTG |:cheering: that will certainly get you hook on his great hobby. Good luck and happy hunting.

Epi-hunter
10-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Congrats!!! I vote for the AT Pro. The 250 is tough on salt water beaches.

Boulder
10-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Congrats on your silver and on the first out. thumbsup01
While the Ace 250 is a good detector for the buck, saving for the AT-pro in my opinion would be a better
choice in the long run and waterproofed to 10ft for added peace of mind.
JOHN. :beerbuddy:

Johan K
10-17-2013, 10:05 AM
thumbsup01 And now you're infected with the detecting-virus......join the club ! :happy: :detecting: :congrats:

Lowjiber
10-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Very nice first outing. Congratulations!

That just proves the old saying, It's not the wand... it's the wizard.

Congrats!!! I vote for the AT Pro. The 250 is tough on salt water beaches.

Ditto from here too. The AT Pro is a very highly rated machine. It will definitely serve you well for a long time.

lcoutback
10-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Way to go Largo!! Keep it up, it's just too much fun... :clapping: