PDA

View Full Version : October 16th woods hunt over in the cereal city

giant056
10-17-2013, 02:17 AM
My brother and I hunted a woods next to where there use to be a school today. I managed to find me a sterling thimble in really good shape, 4 wheats, neat token, zippo lighter that I pulled the guts out of (they're shot) and some odds and ends. We have hunted this spot before with good luck, I think the last time we hunted there my brother got a barber dime. I checked the date code on the zippo case and it's 1967.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]

[attachimg=6]

aloldstuff
10-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Some great finds. :congrats: on your silver thimble, that item still eludes me but someday.....

I noticed that one of your wheats is a 1909....any VDB??

Tony Two-Cent
10-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Wonderful finds! |:cheering:

I love the silver thimble and the soap token! :loveit: I'm still looking for my first silver thimble.

I didn't know that Zippo lighters were dated. I found one this past Monday in a farm field, I will have to look at it again when I get home and see if it is dated. Is the date found on the bottom near the Zippo logo? The guts on mine were totally rusted out too.

giant056
10-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Some great finds. :congrats: on your silver thimble, that item still eludes me but someday.....

I noticed that one of your wheats is a 1909....any VDB??

no VDB :(

giant056
10-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Wonderful finds! |:cheering:

I love the silver thimble and the soap token! :loveit: I'm still looking for my first silver thimble.

I didn't know that Zippo lighters were dated. I found one this past Monday in a farm field, I will have to look at it again when I get home and see if it is dated. Is the date found on the bottom near the Zippo logo? The guts on mine were totally rusted out too.

I just did a zippo ID search on google and there's many sites that show how to see when they were made, some are better than others.

Tony Two-Cent
10-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I just did a zippo ID search on google and there's many sites that show how to see when they were made, some are better than others.

It looks like there is very useful information on the Zippo website about how to date their lighters. I will definitely have to look at mine again when I get home. I know that it has the logo on the bottom used from 1955-1979.

http://www.zippo.com/about/article.aspx?id=1582

Johan K
10-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Beautifull sterling thimble !! Well done ! My oldest thimble is from the 15th century, silver as well. It weights 20 gramms ! See the picture.

giant056
10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
That's an awesome old thimble you found the Johan, when I was researching my thimble I found out they also made gold (10K&14K) thimbles as well, I would love to find a gold one :cool:

coinnut
10-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Both thimbles are gorgeous. :loveit: Love finding them. They are always a surprise for me. But I am happy to get them :yes: Nice soap token too.

JdsCoins
10-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Wow! That thimble is very nice. :congrats:

A silver one is on my wishlist, I found an aluminum one this year. lol

Nice early wheats too. The 1925-D is uncommon. Too bad the 1909 Isn't an S - VDB :-\

Johan K
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
That's an awesome old thimble you found the Johan, when I was researching my thimble I found out they also made gold (10K&14K) thimbles as well, I would love to find a gold one :cool:

Ooh yeah....a golden thimble.....that would be something....never seen them though. I've got 16 right now, 4 silver ones. 15th till the 17th century, those are quite common finds here. But most of all there flat or at least damaged due to ploughing. Amazing isn't it to chat with you while you're 15.000 km away haha....and having the same mental illness haha :detecting:

Lodge Scent
10-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Great find on the thimble Giant :congrats:

milco
10-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Very nice finds, congrats on all the cool stuff!