PDA

View Full Version : Three days of hunting

bob_e99
10-18-2013, 03:13 PM
I have been continuing with my wood hunts with varying success. On Friday the 11th I hit a new area and all I got was a bit of clad.

[attachimg=1]

I skipped the Columbus holiday as everyone was out, the parks were full of kids playing soccer, baseball and whatever. I was concerned about hunters in the woods so I just took a break over the holiday weekend. On Tuesday I tried a new site that was a bust so I went to the woods where I had very good luck previously. This time I spend most of the morning searching deeper into the woods looking for more clearings but around 11:30 AM I ended up back at the clearing I had hunted previously. Someone mentioned in my last post that there should be dimes there and sure enough after about 90 minutes of hunting I ended up with two silver dimes, a Rosie and a Merc plus a really worn out Buffalo nickel. The Rosie was so deep that I was certain it was going to be a Merc. And that's the second Buffalo from that site.

[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]

I also ended up with five wheats.

[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]

I really got excited when I saw that silver head looking up at me from the hole. Just a junky button, bummer!

[attachimg=6]

Wednesday I tried a very interesting site but it must have been hunted to death because I could barely find pull tabs. I ended up going to a site (not in the woods) where I had previously found a lot of quarters and was not disappointed finding a bunch more quarters.

[attachimg=7]

Wood hunting can be very exciting but and at least in my case, it can yield very few targets. My clad count for this year has been down so in a way it was kind of fun to hit that site for quarters. At least I doing some digging without the black flies, ticks and the mosquitos.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Tony Two-Cent
10-18-2013, 03:48 PM
That's a lot of finds! |:cheering:

When you stop to think about it, that silver Roosevelt dime is 67 years old, so it's had time to sink pretty deep. :yes:

I bet that silver button did make your heart skip a beat. It may be junky but I think it's neat looking.

Congrats on all those finds! :clapping:

coinnut
10-18-2013, 08:12 PM
That Roosevelt was just about a Mercury. 1 year earlier and it would be. The difference between clad hunting and woods hunting, for me at least, is this: Clad hunting you get instant rewards, you are always busy, and you get a good amount of $$$ at the end of the year, but fewer old, quality coins. Wood hunting decreases your clad, gets kind of boring at times, but in an instant can give you an old coin that you only dreamed of. Both are great for the mind, it just takes you to choose which one you are into that day. I think you did well on all those hunts.

milco
10-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Wow, thats a lot of stuff from some woods! What the heck used to be there?

aloldstuff
10-19-2013, 04:45 AM
That's a lot of digging. :congrats: on your silvers, buff and wheats. Coinnut is right on the money, clad hunting is instant gratification and woods hunting is looking for that special item.

z118
10-19-2013, 07:31 AM
The difference between clad hunting and woods hunting, for me at least, is this: Clad hunting you get instant rewards, you are always busy, and you get a good amount of $$$ at the end of the year, but fewer old, quality coins. Wood hunting decreases your clad, gets kind of boring at times, but in an instant can give you an old coin that you only dreamed of. Both are great for the mind, it just takes you to choose which one you are into that day. I think you did well on all those hunts.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Some nice digs you got there. I'm not sure what to say about the fact that it looks like 50% of the nickels you dug were buffaloes. :rolleyes:

lol

Congrats!

giant056
10-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Fantastic bunch of great finds you got out of them woods thumbsup01 I love hunting the woods myself, I have found some really nice old coins and relics in the woods.

:congrats:

del
10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Bob are you sure the button isn't silver , its not uncommon to find a silver button . congrats on the silver dimes buffalo and wheats |:cheering:

bob_e99
10-22-2013, 08:34 AM
That's a lot of finds! |:cheering:

When you stop to think about it, that silver Roosevelt dime is 67 years old, so it's had time to sink pretty deep. :yes:

I bet that silver button did make your heart skip a beat. It may be junky but I think it's neat looking.

Congrats on all those finds! :clapping:

You are correct Tony. I never stopped to think about how old that dime was and as Coinnut pointed out, it was close to being a Merc as I overlooked that fact also.

Bob are you sure the button isn't silver , its not uncommon to find a silver button . congrats on the silver dimes buffalo and wheats |:cheering:

Dan, you make an interesting point as it came out clean from being deep so it was there for some time. Not necessarily a guarantee of it being silver but again, something I overlooked and should check out.

Thanks everyone for your replies and reminding me that I need to focus more on what I'm finding.