PDA

View Full Version : Need to clear something up- Sand Crab Hotwheel

tanacat
05-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Okay, I've been bragging about my $2000 Sand Crab HotWheel... Last fall I found it near my mom's flowerbed and Googled it. To my astonishment I saw 3 separate listings on different collector's sites, one was EBAY--- being sold for $1,600 - $2,000! I just looked up again and they are all over the place averaging $50- $100 :embarrassed:

I'm so confused! :confused: I know it wasn't my imagination... Well, the main reason I'm posting this, is I don't want you guys thinking I'm a pathological liar. If someone happened to have looked it up. I've mentioned it being worth $2000 quite a few times (joking that mine is soooo far from mint condition, all rusty & packed full of mud that I might get $50 for it) lol

Okay I spoke my mind. Peace. :rolleyes:

As a reminder, here's a pic of my pride & joy rofl

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/Metal%20Detecting/101_5024.jpg

del
05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
looks like the real deal to me , even has the redline wheels. just needs a little bodywork and a paint job is all ;)

yazoo
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Your not?There I thought that was just a trait that was shared by part of :lipssealed: :tongue: Just kidding .To bad on the buggy.Yazoo

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-12-2010, 05:49 PM
:twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: sometimes we tend to see more zeros..than what's really there :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :crazy: :crazy: j/k i don't know what ya saw :confused: i think Foreigner made a song about it called double vision rofl

Foreigner - Double Vision (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmLTtPoakA#)

coinnut
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Tana, prices are all over the place these days. It sells for what ever people are willing to spend on it, at any given time. I've seen rare stamps sell for hundreds lower than they should. I've seen those same stamps sell for $400 or $500 more than they should. Same goes for bottles, coins, or any type of collectable. As for you stretching the truth, I don't buy it :rolleyes: Remember, you're a good egg lol and I don't think anyone thinks you lied. I certainly don't. So don't give it another thought. Besides, you probably won't sleep tonight seeing your prize plummit from 2 grand to 50 bucks lol That's what ulcers are made of. ;) But it does need a paint job :cheesysmile: Get to it lol

hoser
05-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Tana I used to collect these things for several years and the Hot wheels rage bottomed out a few years ago. I'm sitting on over a thousand still mint in the blister packs and nobody seems interested in them. Mine are all from 95-98, and I even have the 96 Treasure hunts that several years ago would have sold for $500 for the twelve car set. Not so now I'm afraid. However here is a great site to go to to check current prices on vintage redlines. http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide/1970.html

Epi-hunter
05-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow Bill, that is quite a collection. Why didn't you sell them when they were at the top of their price? :shocked04: I'm sorry....

I guess that's like asking why I didn't sell my Elan stock before it crashed ;)

Tana, I think you need to take that thing to a good body shop :) It's pretty cool though, even if not worth thousands.

hoser
05-12-2010, 11:09 PM
roflNo problem Angie. I guess I thought things might turn around, and they still might in time. If not, I'm gonna be the bestest grampa around. Can you imagine handing two small boys a thousand unopened Hotwheels. :shocked04: rofl Set them on the floor in front of the boys..............then RUN! :shocked04: rofl I'll bet it would be just like those goofy seagulls in the movie Finding Nemo. Mine,mine,mine,mine. rofl

tanacat
05-13-2010, 03:44 PM
roflNo problem Angie. I guess I thought things might turn around, and they still might in time. If not, I'm gonna be the bestest grampa around. Can you imagine handing two small boys a thousand unopened Hotwheels. :shocked04: rofl Set them on the floor in front of the boys..............then RUN! :shocked04: rofl I'll bet it would be just like those goofy seagulls in the movie Finding Nemo. Mine,mine,mine,mine. rofl

OMG :shocked04: WOW Well hang onto most of those- I bet they'll be worth lots 20 or 30 yrs from now. When we have hover crafts zipping around everywhere. Wheels will be like 8 tracks and players are now -obsolete rofl

Cousin Cheech
05-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Wow...

I found one of these a couple weeks ago and didn't think anything of it... Like yours its in tough shape, but not as rusted out with most of the original paint... never thought it was worth a DIME!

tanacat
05-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow...

I found one of these a couple weeks ago and didn't think anything of it... Like yours its in tough shape, but not as rusted out with most of the original paint... never thought it was worth a DIME!

Do you save your little cars when you find them? My hubby threw one of my firsts away, not knowing I was starting a 'collection'. I was mad, he responded Tana, it was a rusty, dilapitated old car packed full of mud rofl Oh, he just doesn't understand does he... lol Needless to say he doesn't MD.

coinnut
05-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Do you save your little cars when you find them? My hubby threw one of my firsts away, not knowing I was starting a 'collection'. I was mad, he responded Tana, it was a rusty, dilapitated old car packed full of mud rofl Oh, he just doesn't understand does he... lol Needless to say he doesn't MD.

lol Tell him he needs to shape up buddy! lol Make him understand that everything we dig is sacred rofl Even the junk ;)

tanacat
05-14-2010, 10:29 PM
lol Tell him he needs to shape up buddy! lol Make him understand that everything we dig is sacred rofl Even the junk ;)

Speaking of, I just went through my little relic display cases and got rid of a bunch of junk- stuff that was exciting when I started out. Had to make room for the better stuff! When that happens does it mean you're not a newbie anymore? lol

coinnut
05-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Speaking of, I just went through my little relic display cases and got rid of a bunch of junk- stuff that was exciting when I started out. Had to make room for the better stuff! When that happens does it mean you're not a newbie anymore? lol

What usually happens is someone tells you the stuff you threw out is actually a rare artifact and was worth thousands lol Then you get demoted to newbie status again :rolleyes: But for now, you are safe. NO more newbie rofl

tanacat
05-15-2010, 06:21 PM
What usually happens is someone tells you the stuff you threw out is actually a rare artifact and was worth thousands lol Then you get demoted to newbie status again :rolleyes: But for now, you are safe. NO more newbie rofl

Yeah, I think I might of thrown out a few oxknobs, thinking they were door handles lol Oh look another new smiley :teasing:

On a serious note- what you said is true. I've seem some things online that seem worthless- going for hundreds or thousands! :shocked04:stretcher: War related stuff and tools I think it was. Thus I try not to throw anything away until I know for sure...

coinnut
05-15-2010, 06:52 PM
This one is new too :happydance01:..... lol Just like children, we are ;)