PDA

View Full Version : Finds Dutch Fields + brief history lesson

Johan K
10-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Hello US of A ::usaflag:: !
Today I did some hunting on a acre (cultivated field), the potatoes had just been harvested. I had more than 80 coins, all from the 17th till 19th century. Most of them are unreadable due to fertilizer. The picture I've added will show all my finds. I can hear you think: lots of coins and old stuff. I'll explain : the acres I hunt on are former peat-fields (I think you call it peat, we name it turf, to burn in the stove back in the days....they used it for century's). The peat was dug out with spades and tranported it by little ships al the way to the big city's (even for 200 miles). They pulled that ship through little canals by horse and even by men and woman (see picture 3 and 4, truly hard labour!). Then they returned with their ships with......yeah......faeces......I think you call it shit haha. Well, back in the days the collected the faeces door to door (dirty job...) and ditched it in the little ships, even the dirt of the streets and canals were ditched in the boats. These boats were transported, all the way back to the acres and ditched it there......the did this from the late mediėval till about 1920's. So, you can imagine....there's a lot of history on these acres. Everyone throwed their possessions in the shitbarrels or lost it. You can find silver coinns there and even some golden.

And at last, a brief peek into my collection of finds. I hope you'll understand what I've been telling, my english is a little bit rusty......best regards, Johan

milco
10-19-2013, 04:18 PM
:wow: Amazing finds Johan! Not only are your finds from that field an incredible amount of finds (80 pre 1900 coins, WOW!!) but you collection looks awesome!! Congrtulations to you on your great finds, and thanks for the history lesson. I always like hearing about those stories of times gone past, even if it involves dumping!

Willems
10-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Johan you have verry shitty finds :)
No great story and well explained.
See ya soon in the fields.

OxShoeDrew
10-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Johan you have verry shitty finds :)
No great story and well explained.
See ya soon in the fields.

rofl
Hard to believe you can find so much stuff. Congratulations on some super finds. :groovy:

jkress
10-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Hello US of A ::usaflag:: !

Hello right back at you Johan K. It is great to have you here with us. :clapping:

Love your pictures. :peace:

Tony Two-Cent
10-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Awesome post and great history lesson! |:cheering:

And wow, your display of finds is incredible! :shocked04: |:confused:)

You must have been at it for a long time. That's a lot of finds!

Great photos! :clapping:

Johan K
11-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Awesome post and great history lesson! |:cheering:

And wow, your display of finds is incredible! :shocked04: |:confused:)

You must have been at it for a long time. That's a lot of finds!

Great photos! :clapping:

Hey Tony ! 'Been at it for a long time.... not that long.....about 7 years now. I don't complaine though......