PDA

View Full Version : sliver merc

hockeyguy
11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Went to 2 parks today w/ Catskill Comics. The 1st we left quickly as all we could locate was clad.Then back to the hunted out park that has given up dozens of silvers since.
:cheesysmile:
I had my new 10 x 12 SEF on and wanted to prove to myself it went deeper, and found coins on edge better than the stock coil. Not so sure I proved this, but a good day nonetheless. 8)

Had a good sound pretty deep, but pinpoint was not stable. Good enough to dig, I was attempting to memorize everything in case it was a good find. :angry: Turns out to be an IH! Not too bad considering we have all been over this small area multiple times. A few minutes later, another with the same depth (~ 8 ) :rolleyes:

Moving along, Scott left and I went to another area many of us have been over multiple times before. A good sound camou:usaflag:ed by the bang of iron made this difficult to pinpoint. The machine in this mode kept leading me to the iron tone. :-\ Finally at one angle, i was able to get a tiny area of separation and unearthed this coin. Lucky for me it was sitting next to iron or it would have been a gonner long ago.

Lets all pay homage to the deep iron; not only does it hide coins, it is a good indication of a site's age! :grin:

When i am paying attention, I usually dig deep nickle tones. Many times this is a pull tab on the way down but hey...maybe its gold. This one as a buf and probably will not get a date.

A few wheats and then I get another tone that sounds good. This one is totally lodged between trash. in pinpoint, i cannot get this isolated and am forced to dig w/o it...arghh. ( With a new coil. I was nervous but brought up this religious medallion from the depths...~ 8, just like the merc.

All in all not a bad afternoon. Sure beats raking leaves like I did all am.

BTW, here is a new pic of the 2 center after soaking and toothbrushing. i t pays to brush!

HH

Aaron

angellionel
11-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Those are some nice digs! Those IH's should clean up well. I think a few return trips to that park will prove worthwhile. :)

coinnut
11-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Nice hunt. Indians are getting harder to find these days. Any hunt with more than one is a good hunt! Silver is always sweet too!!!

Dave
11-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Very nice digs today, congratulations on your finds!! thumbsup01

OkieDigger
11-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Those are great finds! I love finding different types of coins like that in one hunt.

Epi-hunter
11-07-2009, 07:52 PM
What a great day!!! I love the story, thanks for the detail... I agree that place warrants hitting again in the future. :) I always love the coins, but especially the medallion.

Did you just clean with water and toothbrush?

marchas45
11-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Nice looking finds hockeyguy, guess you guys missed a few the last time you where there. :grin: :grin: thumbsup01

hockeyguy
11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I used a bit of mineral oil and my toothbrush to clean it....thanks for the nice comments. :cheesysmile:

Jason in Enid
11-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Congrats ona great hunt!

I got skunked today. Just a few clads. Glad to see somebody pulling in some silver. I like the medallion best myself too.

catskillcomics
11-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Nice Hunt Aaron.. can't believe that you found more silver over there, but not overly surprised as you mentioned they were next to iron, no wonder we missed them before. Good job thumbsup01

MNDigger
11-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Congrats on another great looking hunt! thumbsup01 Way to pull that Merc from the clutches of that iron!

Krom
11-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Very nice digs, Aaron! thumbsup01