PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu in the Woods

z118
10-20-2013, 06:57 PM
I had planned today to head a few towns over to a spot I have not hunted since early this season. But I was up late last night watching the Red Sox game and pickling beets and lamb tongues (now there's something I never thought I'd type). So I wound up sleeping in a bit and by the time I got going I didn't want to drive too far. So I decided to head back to the same wooded spot I've been working lately. It was a bit chilly but sunny and overall about as stunning a Fall day as one could hope for. The colder temps the night before seemed to have done a number on the mosquitoes which was much appreciated. The foliage was breathtaking and I found myself stopping every now and then to just marvel, stare, and enjoy. I try to take pictures of some of these moments, but they always fall short of the actual thing. The picture of the sun hitting the beads of water on an overturned leaf was about as close as I got.

Anyway, like yesterday, I didn't find any silver coins. But, I did score 14 wheats, a '37 Buff, and an 1888 Indian Head cent. The latter is worn but not corroded which is nice. I also dug an odd and frankly kind of ugly silver ring. I thought it was a number ring off a combination bike lock at first (I've dug a bunch of these). But it rubbed clean like silver and sure enough is stamped Ster. I also found an unpleasant looking knife and the usual odds and ends. All in all it was another fine day in the woods.

Happy hunting...

EDIT - I added a picture of the beets and tongues. The beets I know will be good. The tongues, I'm not so sure. We'll see!

bob_e99
10-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Another nice hunt from the hill. |:cheering:

And I agree with your observation of the ring. I would have thrown it out if it were mine but silver is silver.

As for the beets and the tongues, I trust that's not on the menu for this coming weekend :)

:congrats: on some nice finds.

sfox54
10-21-2013, 03:12 PM
let us know if the tongues taste good or baaaa-aaad. that knife seems to me like what i would imagine some guy throws at the pretty girl on the spinning wheel. if you dont like the ring i will take it :) :)

coinnut
10-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Two nice looking coins from that hunt. A heavy looking ring too. I would have never thought it was a ring. :confused:

aloldstuff
10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
:congrats: on your keepers.....

del
10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
different looking ring :yes: sweet looking Indian and buffalo . never had lambs tongue only cows tongue before and it was some of the most tender meat with great flavor . its great in a stew. congrats on the finds |:cheering:

giant056
10-26-2013, 06:22 AM
Great bunch of finds you got there thumbsup01 that Indian does look great even if it is worn. I use to have a friend that pickled turkey gizzards and they were fantastic :cheesysmile:

:congrats: