PDA

View Full Version : My BEST silver score to date!

Snapolson
10-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi folks. Hope everyone is well out there. I got out today for a nice hunt. The pressure was off after finding a silver Rosie after only ten minutes. Yay! :happydance01: Now, I could relax and hunt without frustration.

After a long while I hit what I thought was a wheatie. It rang up 82-83 which usually is penny range. But, it turned out to be a Merc! (1917)

Then, ten minutes later I hit the best silver spill I've ever had. I thought it was just two silver quarters, but after scanning the hole again, I found two more! There was also two nickels in there too, a 1947 and 1955. The quarters, interestingly enough, were sequential in the dates: 1961 to 64!

After that, nothing but a couple of wheats. I beat my one day total of 5 silvers in one hunt, with 6 today. Definitely a hunt to remember.

The last coin I found last week. It's an 1812 Classic Head Large Cent. That rand up as a quarter. I was NOT expecting a largie. As for cleaning it, I'm afraid to scrape off any of the brown crust, for fear of loosing all detail. Any tips? The last one I cleaned really looks crappy now. I'd hate to ruin this one.

Thanks for looking and as always, happy hunting! :groovy:

Tony Two-Cent
10-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Awesome hunt! Congrats on the silver quarter spill, that doesn't happen very often! Those quarters look brand new, they must have been dropped in 1964.

I can't help you with the large cent, I will leave that advice up to the copper experts. As the coin is now you can see the 1812 date fairly well, so I would be afraid to do anything to it. It looks like all details might disappear if you cleaned off that brown crust.

Congrats on the terrific finds! |:cheering:

bob_e99
10-22-2013, 08:28 AM
:wow: All that silver in one hole could be hazardous to one's health. All that shininess could blind you and your heart rate goes through the roof. :shocked03:

:congrats: on a really, really nice find.

OxShoeDrew
10-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Nicely done Chris. I think Dan will tell you to wet that coin and let it sit in the hot sun shine until that outer crust starts to flake off. BUT, wait until they chime in as I really don't know much about it. Again, nice hunt |:cheering:

del
10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
congrats on all the silver |:confused:) |:confused:)

Nicely done Chris. I think Dan will tell you to wet that coin and let it sit in the hot sun shine until that outer crust starts to flake off. BUT, wait until they chime in as I really don't know much about it. Again, nice hunt |:cheering:

yup it looks like it has pretty good detail under the crusty dirt , try soaking it in some water for about 20 minutes then place the crusty side up under a heat lamp or very close to a high wattage bulb . it will dry and flake up then just use a toothpick to remove the rest , repeat the process on the stubborn areas . after your done use some light oil (olive , vaseline or any metal oil) on a q-tip apply genously let sit for a bit then remove as much as you can with a paper towel. let dry then you can apply a wax ( parafin or reniasance) then buff with a soft bristled brush. show us your results , i'm betting it will look pretty nice .

Dan

BKM
10-22-2013, 04:46 PM
6 silver spill :congrats:

That's pretty darn special :perfect10:

Lodge Scent
10-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Nice finds! Great hunt !

coinnut
10-22-2013, 07:01 PM
My advice is work a section of the reverse side and see what disappears or stays as a result of your cleaning. That way you can see if it works before doing the front of the coin.

giant056
10-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Awesome silver haul you got there thumbsup01 all very nice old coins, a big congrats on that hunt!
:congrats:

aloldstuff
10-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Best silver spill I've seen in a while. :congrats: on all your keepers

milco
10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Super silver spill! Those are fun when you hit those, whew hew!!!! Congrats on the LC too!

PL8MAN
10-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Sweet silver ! thumbsup01