PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in SoCal

Mayadigger
10-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Ave!

Just as a quick introduction, my name is Kevin Sandes and I know nothing about metal-detecting. But I do have close to 25 years of professional experience cleaning and restoring old/ancient coins and artifacts, from ancient Egyptian bronzes to 18th -19th Cent US coins, etc.

FYI - Del (Dan) asked me if I could share some of my thoughts in the cleaning forum and I'll do my best to advise those with cleaning/conservation questions.

Happy to be here!

Best regards,

Kevin

del
10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Hello Kevin , welcome to the forum . I'm very glad you joined our humble establishment here . :yes:

I little history about Kevin ..
Our very own Thiltzy (Todd) had found a very decent colonial that I positively I.D.'ed on another forum as a Machin Mills counterfiet copper. Todd contacted Kevin to inquire about professionally cleaning the coin and posted his before an after pictures . I had gotten involved in that post and engaged Kevin about colonial coins and had scrutinized the results from pictures Todd posted , I admit i was harsh on Kevin's work because of the photos ( which can be very subjective ) . well about a few months later i got to see Todd's Machin Mills in person and in the natural sun light and was pretty impressed with Kevin's work . He cleaned the dirt meticulously while leaving the sometimes delicate patina on the coin and had the knowledge to not over do it as some places do . since then I have appologized about the unfair criticism of his work on the other forum and he and I have conversed through e-mails . He in formed me about his proceedures about clients coins and how much he stresses continual communication with the coin owner before and during any work he does on it . he will be recieving a couple of coins i have soon to go over and to see what he thinks and he gets my full recommendation on anyone who wants to consider him at cleaning an old colonial coppers or ancient bronze Roman pieces. I asked Kevin if he would join and visit from time to time as I think he will be great to have around , to ask questions or for members to PM about coins for him to consider his services .

Welcome again Kevin

Dan

Mayadigger
10-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Ave Dan,

Thanks for the kudos; I blush. :-)

Having read 'Advertising or soliciting of any products, services, funds or donations via forum posts, signatures, or private messages to members without the expressed permission from the forum administrators is prohibited.' I wonder if I can beg to have a slight dispensation from the above?

It will be difficult, if not impossible, for me respond to your member's cleaning/conservation questions without mentioning many of the unique cleaning tools and products that are only available from my shop.

Please LMK, okay?

Best,
Kevin

OxShoeDrew
10-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi Kevin, My name is Drew and I know nothing about coin cleaning lol
I hope you enjoy it here.. although the conversation sometimes turns to metal detecting lol
Welcome Kevin :waving:

coinnut
10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Welcome aboard Kevin from western MA.

lcoutback
10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Welcome Kevin! :waving: I have a pretty fine collection of vintage bottle caps that need to brought back to their original luster.... Any suggestions? lol :hysterical: rofl

Seriously, though, welcome to an avid bunch of detectorists... :)

aloldstuff
10-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Welcome and looking forward to reading about your procedures. Hopefully some before and after photos.

KennyD
10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Welcome aboard!

Fire Fighter 43
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Kevin from SE Wisconsin. I'm looking forward to you sharing your expertise. Thank you.

Dr. evil
10-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Hello Kevin , welcome to the forum . :waving:

SeabeeRon
10-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Welcome from a NorCal member! Your expertise will be very helpful here!

Boulder
10-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum from North New Jersey. thumbsup01

Lowjiber
10-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Welcome from southern Nevada.

Tony Two-Cent
11-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad to have someone with your knowledge here on the forum! :yes: