PDA

View Full Version : This park was my nemesis. WAS my nemesis!

Tony Two-Cent
10-24-2013, 08:37 PM
There is an old park in a small town that is about 15 minutes from where I work on my way home. Since it is so convenient for me I have hunted it MANY times. I had previously found 9 Indian Head Cents dating back to 1887 and probably about 25 wheat cents in this park, but I had never been able to find a silver coin there no matter how hard I tried.

It had really become a point of contention with me, as it is the only old park in my area where I could not find a silver coin. I could almost feel the park taunting me and laughing at me behind my back. :hairpulling: lol

Today on my way home from work I realized that I hadn't hunted there at all this year, so on a whim I decided to give it another shot. I cranked the sensitivity on my E-Trac up to 27 and went really slow, listening for the faint signals. The very first target I dug ended up being an 1888 Indian Head at about 8 deep. This was my tenth Indian Head out of this park. After a couple of clad coins I got a really iffy signal at about 7 deep. It didn't sound like silver at all, I thought it might be an Indian Head or a wheat cent. After digging down about 7 and scooping the dirt out of the hole I couldn't believe it when I saw a Mercury Dime in my dirt pile!

FINALLY after almost three years of pounding this park I got a silver coin! :happy:

My finds for today aren't anything to write home about, but I felt such a sense of accomplishment that I had to share. Now I can add that stubborn park to my list of sites that have produced silver. thumbsup01

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Pile-10-24_zps0006fda1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Display-Obv-10-24_zpsa4c39db6.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Display-Rev-10-24_zps145dc5ab.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

milco
10-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Sweet finds there Tony! And, I know exactly what you mean when you pull a silver out of one of those stingy spots, sure feels good! ditto...... :beerbuddy:

Fire Fighter 43
10-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Nice digs Tony and way to stay persistent. |:cheering:

sfox54
10-24-2013, 10:14 PM
well i know the feeling because every where i hunt is stingy!! today is one year of detecting and no silver coin!! i have found silver but no silver coins. i dont count my war nickel as silver. way to go...one off the list

Ill Digger
10-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Way to sniff one out Tony! |:cheering:
If anyone can do it, it's you. |:confused:)
Congrats! :grin:

PL8MAN
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Sweet finds ! Love them green Indians thumbsup01

wisconsin digger
10-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Perseverance pays off. I still think detectors work better in fall. Moist ground, barometer, karma, I don't know but I always find deeper coins in fall. Great story. Wisconsin Digger

bob_e99
10-25-2013, 06:16 AM
:congrats:

I really admire that ability to be patient and it paid off for you. I'd take that IH as a major find since they seem to be so hard to find in this area. This hunt is definitely an object lesson for me to keep hitting those sites that I have given up on.

Full Metal Digger
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Nicely done Tony. I'm happy you got some silver out of there. Looks like you are only 1 away from 100. I hope you pass that goal this weekend. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

chief5709
10-25-2013, 09:23 AM
WTG Tony! I have a yard that I've been detecting off and on this year that has yet to yield a silver, but I know there has got to be one there! BTW nice pictures too!

EdNargel
10-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Congrats on the Silver Tony, I have a couple of places that I don't know why I've never found any silver as well, pretty frustrating.

giant056
10-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Awesome score on the merc and Indian there Tony thumbsup01 congrats on finally getting silver from that old park.
:congrats:

Bell-Two
10-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Good job Tony! It is always rewarding when patience gets results. I got one of the gear-cog thingys from the Eagle field they day we hunted it...shows that Choice Junk as Diane calls it can turn up anywhere!

tanacat
10-26-2013, 08:33 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

yay~~~ gives me incentive not to give up on some sites lol

coinnut
10-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Great job making that park do what you wanted lol This is a nice looking Mercury too. :smitten: I often wondered if I just dug a small section of the park only taking targets 7 and deeper, if I could coax out some deep coins. It seems that you have some deep coins just waiting for someone to get to them. Nice job of sneaking some good coins from there. :clapping:

jkress
10-27-2013, 12:11 AM
My finds for today aren't anything to write home about, but I felt such a sense of accomplishment that I had to share

I'd be writing home about these too! :yes: For sure, :congrats:

Pocketing some keepers from a park that has taunted you for so long. Although it has been good to you with IH's...
A great big congrats to you for digging the 1920 silver rim!!!!! :congrats:

See you soon. :)

RobW
10-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Just like any woman...you ignored her...and then she gave up the goods >:tongue: >:tongue: >:tongue:. lol lol lol (I'll probably get blacklisted for that :behave:)

aloldstuff
10-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Just like any woman...you ignored her...and then she gave up the goods >:tongue: >:tongue: >:tongue:. lol lol lol (I'll probably get blacklisted for that :behave:)

The discussion has begun on the blacklisting..............

Tony, Finally getting the dominant position on that park is great and what a great looking merc to boot. WTG on the persistence.

coinnut
10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
The discussion has begun on the blacklisting..............

No need too....... I just sent a copy of his post to his wife :shocked03: After he gets off of being grounded, he may post a little bit different rofl