PDA

View Full Version : e-trac see thru really seems to work

randy
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
2nd trip out with the e-trac today. One target was a wheatie only 4 inches deep, but was directly under a piece of foil. This target was 2 feet from a tot lot I know has been pounded, in a park I know has been pounded. I've probably passed over this target myself. That was pretty cool. I wasn't 100% sure it was going to be a good target, but was pretty sure. When I hit the foil at 2 inches, I knew to keep looking at least. It was sort of weird.

Now, I'm a little confused about iron. If I hear what may be a good target, but in pinpointing all I get is iron, is there any chance a good target will be there as well? In other words, should the pinpoint give me both iron and the good target, or just the strongest target (which will be the iron most likely). All of these I dug turned out to be only iron. I understand in motion mode with see thru you will get both targets, but does pinpointing work the same way I guess is my question (on my other target where see thru worked, there was so much trash in the area I pinpointed using the X method, and wasn't really paying attention to pinpoint mode).

coinnut
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Hey Randy, You will get iron a lot at the beginning. Iron usually pinpoints a bit off from where you think the target is by sound. A non ferrous target always pinpoints dead on. That's one way to know. A second thing to listen for is a repeatable signal in the same spot. Sometimes iron repeats, but not exactly in the same spot if you swing over and over the same spot. Some say take only targets that read in every direction. I say, not on deep targets. If it repeats in any direction and hits in the same spot, I dig it. You will notice the CO numbers are pretty accurate and repeat well, but the FE numbers can vary a lot due to coexisting targets (target blend). And then some flat stock iron will read in the lower CO numbers due to either another metal in it's composition or the effect that iron leaching out of the metal has. I haven't found a way around that. As for the reading of iron in pinpoint, it may in fact read the strongest target which would be the iron. I would not go by the numbers in pinpoint! Just my dealings with the E Trac so far.

hoser
05-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Well put coinnut. I was having the same issues until I talked to Angel one night and he told me the exact same thing. thumbsup01

coinnut
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Well put coinnut. I was having the same issues until I talked to Angel one night and he told me the exact same thing. thumbsup01

Geez Hoser, and I thought I made that stuff up lol Now I'm wondering if I stole it from Angel :confused: rofl It takes a couple of hours on that machine to figure out iron. You never can ignore it all, but you get pretty good at missing most of it.

hoser
05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
The ones that confuse me are the galvanized roofing nails. I don't know if there is zinc used in the process or not but they will read as a coin most of the time. I do know the Etrac does real well with the read through. I found a wheat the other day that was a few inches below a rusted nail. That wouldn't have happened with my other detector. I would have read iron and walked right on by. :-\

Epi-hunter
05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
One thing not necessarily directly related to your exact question in terms of pinpointing.... but make sure you have your Trash Density setting on High (Low is the default). This allows you to determine good targets next to trash. If it's left on low, when in detecting mode the strongest target will give the signal and potentially mask good targets next to it.