PDA

View Full Version : Silver Rings, Pristine Coins, Painful Ding

z118
10-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Saturday was COLD and very, very windy and the forecast called for sporadic pop up showers so I stayed close to home during a short morning hunt. I got back into the turf after spending the last month or so in the woods. I did pretty good and ended up with a nice silver ESPO ring, a '51 quarter, and '58 dime, and a mess of wheats along with a bit of clad.

Sunday I was hoping to drive a few towns over to a spot I have been meaning to get back to for several weeks now. But like last weekend I was up late the night before watching baseball and by the time I got going in the morning it was too late for much of a drive. So I headed back to the sweet wooded spot I've been working lately. Boy, did this spot give up the goods this time! The first find of note was a scary silver claw / talon ring. A short while later in a difficult area riddled with trash I pulled two Mercs. And then I dug an unbelievably pristine 1853 large cent. I can not get over the condition of this coin. This spot is profoundly kind to coins. As thrilled as I am with this coin I am conversely disgusted that I dinged the obverse while recovering it. The scrape is not bad but on this coin it is absolutely killing me. Ugh!!! Later in the hunt I pull another oldie in similarly amazing shape - a 1908 V nickel. This coin blows ever other V nickle I've ever found out of the water. Full liberty! Finally I dug a well worn 1887 Indian head cent (that I did not scratch). I head home very, very happy.

Happy hunting!

Full Metal Digger
10-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Ouch! I doubt it's possible to dig a nicer, higher-state large cent as the one you found. I feel your pain about the scratch. I have scratched nice coins also. I think to myself how come I never scratch clad quarters but I sure can scratch the old ones?

PL8MAN
10-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Love the ring , almost looks like a shark fin thumbsup01

bob_e99
10-28-2013, 06:18 AM
:wow:

You are right about that hill. Not only does it give up some nice keepers but they are in gorgeous condition. Just beautiful. I can understand your angst about nicking that large cent. It is just such a good looking coin.

:perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

:congrats: on another awesome hunt.

Tony Two-Cent
10-28-2013, 09:18 AM
WOW! :shocked04: That large cent is the nicest I've ever seen dug! Holy cow, what a gorgeous coin! The V Nickel looks incredible too! I have heard that coins come out of the woods looking nicer than usual and I guess it's true.

That talon ring is scary. Yikes, a person could do some damage with that thing.

I can't get over how beautiful that large cent is! :smitten:

:congrats:

KennyD
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
:happy: Wow! Those are amazing finds Z. Nice job!

aloldstuff
10-30-2013, 06:43 AM
What a beautiful LC and V. I have kissed a nice coin before so I know your pain. Del had mentioned to me that coins found on a hill do better in the ground because the water flows away from it.

coinnut
10-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Some really nice coins there :smitten: The large cent is gorgeous and so is the V. At first glance I thought the ring was a shark's fin, but I'm guessing that claw could do some damage if you needed it to, in a pinch. :blackeye:

Coinshooter
10-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Those are some amazing finds. |:cheering: I have never seen a largey with that much detail in my life! :perfect10:

leslie(nova scotia)
11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
That ring you found on the 2nd day is scary...imagine hittong someone with that. Yes it is getting colder me son. Good read and looking forwardto your next adventure. <;)

Thiltzy
11-04-2013, 04:32 PM
I missed this post. Those dug coins are in unbelieveable condition. What camera you use? The pictures are crystal clear and nice macro

del
11-04-2013, 05:00 PM
how did this coin not make the banner Matt :confused: its one of the best looking braided hairs i've seen in quite a while :perfect10:

yes hills and hillsides are some good places to find coins in exceptional shape , congrats .

Longhair
11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Sweet large and V!
Bummer about the scratch, but we all do it at some point.
Great digs!

z118
11-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm still kicking myself over nicking that large cent!

What camera you use? The pictures are crystal clear and nice macro

It's a Cannon of some sort; nothing fancy and 5 or 6 years old at least.

Here's another pic of the cent, plus pics of the three coins I've pulled from this spot in unusually nice condition.

bob_e99
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
:envious: :envious: :envious: :envious: :envious: :envious:

Geeez! Are you minting those in the basement again?

:hysterical:

Dam, those are just beautiful.

Epi-hunter
11-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Wow Matt... that has to be the most beautiful large cent and V nickel I have ever seen!