PDA

View Full Version : Old School & baseball field one year later

tech125
10-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Its been a full year since the old school was fenced off and out of bounds for detecting. The school has been demolished and new retail is now in its place. Drove by on Friday and the fence was removed! On Saturday met up with Silver Star and noticed someone detecting, we walked over to say hi and it was Zrickkid (Ricky and his dog). We quickly grabbed our detectors but only had 1.5hrs left of light. I was able to get a 57 Rosie and 7 wheats. Was up before the sunrise Sunday and onsite by 7:30am, it was a brisk 32 degrees but otherwise sunny.
First find was a 44 Merc followed by a 42 Washington. Shortly after I got a good signal 3 inches down under a fist sized rock was a smooth no date SLQ, my second one ever. After that it slowed down a bit but was able to get 15 more wheat pennies including my foreign find of the day a 1950 Canadian penny.
My last good find rang up as a penny, it weighs 5 grams and is about the size of a quarter. It is counter stamped on one side only with an S, and there is no detail on either sides that I can tell, I have not cleaned it at all even with water because I like the green patina. Anyone have an idea what it is? It was great weekend as everyone walked away with silver. I hope they move some dirt around as there are gigantic piles of earth(some 30ft high) hiding old coins. The heavy machinery really packs down the soil in most areas. Im hoping for 3-4 more weeks of good weather until it freezes up for the year....HH.

milco
10-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Nice finds! Timing is eveything hitting that before they build on it. The mystery S coin looks like a token, it has the same reeded pattern around the edges that many old tokens have similar to an IH.

Tony Two-Cent
10-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Congrats on the silver and Wheaties, Rob! The SLQ is a great find even if it's smooth! :yes:

I agree that the S counter stamped item is a token of some sort.

:congrats:

aloldstuff
10-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Very nice that you kept your eye on that site. We have a fenced in site here in town (old school being torn down) and I can't wait to hit that site again. Any SLQ is a great find.

coinnut
10-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking advertising token too, or maybe a Canadian large cent? :thinkingabout: Also looks like some one tried to make a whizzer out of the two holed penny. Nice group of finds. thumbsup01

Here is a picture of a modern whizzer, called a buzz saw. It also sheds some light on why some of the ones we find had a saw tooth edge put on them. It was to cut paper. :dontknow: Who knew lol

http://shop.hancockshakervillage.org/product/buzz-saw-toy/