PDA

View Full Version : Worst Draped Ever. Cocoanut Grove Token.

OxShoeDrew
10-28-2013, 05:24 PM
I had a very eventful hunt after work today. That holed, bent, marked, shovel hit, copper is a draped bust.....trust me lol
Being an hour from Boston led me to believe that Cocoanut Grove token was from the Boston night club, but I found it is from the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.
The other token is a generic no monetary value.
The chape is 1730-60 as best I can tell....and I can't tell very well lol ::huh::
I found a small flat button in the same hole! Odd. Maybe some hanky panky. ;)
Thanks for looking, Drew

Lodge Scent
10-28-2013, 05:42 PM
That holed, bent, marked, shovel hit, copper is a draped bust.....trust me lol

Worst ever DB ?? Far from it Drew. That thing has character :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
that counterstamp may be worth more than the draped bust is.even if it was in nice shape

del
10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Drew , counterstamped coppers are the Rolls Royce of coppers in crusty beat coppers world lol lol i'd rather have one of them anyday than the norm. |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
10-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Drew , counterstamped coppers are the Rolls Royce of coppers in crusty beat coppers world lol lol i'd rather have one of them anyday than the norm. |:cheering:

that counterstamp may be worth more than the draped bust is.even if it was in nice shape

humphf....why is it worth more? There are two more D.E.F.s on the other side. I was embarrassed to show that side as I hit it with the shovel. :embarrassed: ...and I didn't think it was worthy of two pics.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-28-2013, 08:29 PM
like for example my beat up matron head is counter stamped and has a story to it.pretty neat one at that.
Even though my LC is shot the counter stamp of M.TIDD WOBURN makes it worth a few bucks

OxShoeDrew
10-29-2013, 04:44 AM
Wow Dave, that is so cool. I'll have to try and find what DEF stands for. Thanks for the info |:confused:) |:confused:)

Sal66
10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
:wow: I guess you learn something new everyday . I didn't know they had a list of Counter stamps with Values .

However, I just read an awesome article about the Hobo Nickel and about the 1st Hobo who started the Art of carving designs on Buffalo Nickels in the late 1910's . His name was George Washington &quot:beerbuddy:O Hughes . He died in the late 1940's, but one of his double- sided carved Nickels fetched $ 24,200 this January !!

coinnut
10-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Nice token Drew. I couldn't find a picture of one on the internet though. Great large cent too thumbsup01 Dating chapes now are we? :thinkingabout: lol Looks like a fun hunt.

OxShoeDrew
10-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I love those hobo coins Sal. I never found one though. George, I did more research on that chape and have narrowed it down to 1752...November lol

The Rebel
10-29-2013, 11:13 AM
That's a pretty wild coin! thumbsup01 Still looking for my 1st Stamped.

Perhaps DEF means Dept. of Environmental Finds :tongue:

coinnut
10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
George, I did more research on that chape and have narrowed it down to 1752...November lol

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Who wore it? :cheesysmile:

Bell-Two
10-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Great stuff, I don't think there can be a bad Draped bust can there? Neat token, I have actually seen the Cocoanut Grove at the Ambassador Hotel. Spent two weeks in LA doing studying for stock brokers license exam. Neat old place now gone I believe. Saw a movie being filmed there, and actually met and had a 10 minute conversation with Angie Dickinson, who was very nice. I was sitting on a couch looking out at the beautiful flower garden when she came in and sat down on the couch too, she took out a bunch of note cards and was looking at them. She then put them back into her purse. I had seen a sign saying she was going to give a talk to a Women's club that day. She said to me My isn't it just a lovely day? I said Yes it is, I see that you are going to give a talk to the Women's Club. She replied Yes and I am so nervous! She then smiled and talked some more about the pretty flowers. Beautiful lady and I thought in person she was even more attractive than in the movies or TV series.

OxShoeDrew
10-30-2013, 04:18 AM
That's really interesting Bell-Two, I read that place hosted the Academy awards and was a magnet for superstars. I have no idea why I found it in my area... and then a second token 15 ft away. :dontknow: Thanks for the story!

George- his name turned out to be Phineas Faultybuckle.

coinnut
10-30-2013, 07:01 PM
George- his name turned out to be Phineas Faultybuckle.

:rolleyes: Of course