PDA

View Full Version : Late Fall Street/Sidewalk Project Finds

milco
10-30-2013, 09:41 PM
The latest project that I have had my eye on has been a bit of a dissappointment. The sidewalk beds are filled and lined with a load of coal clinkers, fill and just nasty iron infested dirt.....quite frankly the worst I have ever seen! Nonetheless I have made it out and found a few old coins. So far I have made a few trips and found a 1883 V Nickel, a 1927 Wheat Cent and an 1861 Fatty IH, my first 1861, so I was happy about that!

Lodge Scent
10-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Good job sniffing out those coins. Unusual looking IHP? It looks like a nickel :thinkingabout: Does it really look that way ?

Tony Two-Cent
10-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Way to find some great coins in a difficult environment, Darren! Is the 1883 V Nickel the no cents version?

I really like the fatty Indian Head too! I'm still looking for my first!

Good job sniffing out those coins. Unusual looking IHP? It looks like a nickel :thinkingabout: Does it really look that way ?

Fatty Indian Heads (as well as Flying Eagle Cents) are made from a copper-nickel alloy and appear light in color in their natural state. Basically they're the same color as a nickel.

milco
10-31-2013, 05:03 PM
The IH does look that way, it was super crusty and I put it in the tumbler with water and vinegar. It got a little too shined up on me tho.

Fire Fighter 43
10-31-2013, 08:18 PM
WTG |:cheering: Darren on some more great finds. I know you are close to Indian #50 for the year. Is that the one?

milco
10-31-2013, 09:05 PM
WTG |:cheering: Darren on some more great finds. I know you are close to Indian #50 for the year. Is that the one?

Thanks Jeff! No that one was number 43 I believe, still hoping to hit 50 but time is getting short! Can't complain though, found a lot of really great old IH's this year.

leslie(nova scotia)
11-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Just goes to show that given the chance.....dig!~ Nice ones. <;)