PDA

View Full Version : Finds over the last two weeks-need help on ID colonial relic

Thiltzy
10-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Finally got around to cleaning finds from the last couple of hunts with Dave. Spent most of my time watching the Red sox after work.

Made a few neat finds and I am looking for help on identification of the large clasp looking piece with the three fork looking prongs :thinkingabout: It has a pattern on it and a curved shaped to it. I pulled it from a site that produced all colonial relics including the small buckle that I believe is late 1600's to very early 1700's circa.

On one of the hunts we actually ran into two old timers that were hunting near some site we had mapped out. This was the 1st time we ever ran into someone else while cellar hole hunting. I think we scared the heck out of them :hysterical:

Got a nice etched design tombac and half shoe buckle frames. I also got a good laugh digging an Iron cast toy car circa 1920-30's made by The Manoil CO.

Maybe Dan or George might be able to ID that clasp looking relic and small buckle that I believe to be 1600's circa?
:detecting: :detecting:

del
10-31-2013, 06:47 PM
hey were the two guys hunting or detecting Todd?? you item you descibed looks very close to a type of neck stock buckle half , try googling it and see the similarities they have with yours.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-31-2013, 07:02 PM
nice to finally be able to see them cleaned up.Dan I told todd i thought it was some sort of cloak clasp half?
I thought the stock buckles were the only thing that fastened a stock? :confused: and is the spectacle buckle 1600's? or mid 1700's? stop avoiding these important questions.it just makes todd pull his hair out when you do that :hairpulling:

del
10-31-2013, 07:08 PM
correct Dave , but stock buckles came in a variety of forms . some very ornate looking and some of pretty plain design.

Thiltzy
10-31-2013, 07:32 PM
hey were the two guys hunting or detecting Todd?? you item you descibed looks very close to a type of neck stock buckle half , try googling it and see the similarities they have with yours.
The two guys were metal detecting. Well actually one was and the other was watching him. Old timers. The neck stock info is greatly appreciated Dan. Thanks for the info

Full Metal Digger
10-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice group of finds. I like the Union heal plate. I found one just like it (with the same wear spot too).

del
10-31-2013, 07:44 PM
hey Todd that one shoe buckle frame is an oldie and how about a close up of that item with the bust or head on it.

Thiltzy
10-31-2013, 09:10 PM
hey Todd that one shoe buckle frame is an oldie and how about a close up of that item with the bust or head on it.
The item with the bust on it doesn't seem that old it looks Victorian but here is a close up. What buckle frame you referring to Dan?

Bell-Two
11-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Man that is a bunch of interesting relics, nice buckles and others!

Longhair
11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Super finds! thumbsup01
I'm jealous of you east coast folks, with all the history you have under your feet.

That piece with the bust might be part of a book latch.

The Rebel
11-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Hey Todd. Nice looking group of finds. I ran into an old timer & his son at a site once. They were up in the Seymour/Oxford area. The dad was swinging a Radio Shack Special :hysterical:

I also have that same broken gray buckle. I'm assuming that's a knee buckle.

Thiltzy
11-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Hey Todd. Nice looking group of finds. I ran into an old timer & his son at a site once. They were up in the Seymour/Oxford area. The dad was swinging a Radio Shack Special :hysterical:

I also have that same broken gray buckle. I'm assuming that's a knee buckle.
Roger, the old timer had a decent machine but no pin-pointer. I actually tried helping him find a target.
Which gray buckle Roger? They don't look gray to me lol

The Rebel
11-01-2013, 03:14 PM
The one in the upper right hand corner

Lodge Scent
11-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Good bunch of relics :congrats:

del
11-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Tod i was referring about the same one Roger was , that buckle frame has that early 1690's to 1720 look about it . I agree the the bust piece looks like a book clasp

The Rebel
11-06-2013, 09:59 PM
This is the one I found back in 2011

Skamaniac
11-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Super finds! thumbsup01
I'm jealous of you east coast folks, with all the history you have under your feet.

Ditto. :envious:

sprosoff
11-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Hey Todd,

Great stuff! Can't believe you found that heel plate with the heart, I have almost the same one and I thought it was one of a kind!