PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Shield, Wheats, and a Few Silvers

z118
11-03-2013, 08:11 PM
I got out both Saturday and Sunday mornings this weekend. I finally made it to the spot a few towns over that I've been intending to get to for a few weeks now. I had good luck at this spot this past Spring but had not been back since. My theory, based on the inordinate number of buffalo nickels I had found at this spot, is that it had been hunted and cherry picked at some point in the past. Saturday's hunt seemed to reaffirm that idea. I dug two war nickels, a handful of wheats, and an 1867 shield nickel (with rays). The shield nickel was a surprise; it's only my second ever. That coins and the war nickels made up for not finding an silver dimes or better. It was cold and raining steadily when I left.

Sunday I headed to a school that gave up quite a few silvers earlier this summer. It was just above freezing when I got started, and my shoes and gloves were still wet from the day before. That made things a bit unpleasant but I stuck with it long enough to dig a few wheats and a '64 Rosie in addition to the usual clad. The Rosie is not an impressive coin but it sure is appreciated when it means not having to drive home without a keeper.

Happy hunting...

Longhair
11-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Congrats on the V and other good finds!
Dang, that was a lot of diggin'!

sfox54
11-03-2013, 09:36 PM
looks like you and i did the most digging this weekend ut i like your finds better...whats the pigs name

Tony Two-Cent
11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I think that shield nickel is a great find, Matt! They don't turn up too often. I have only found 4 of them but none with rays yet. Yours still has nice details and a clear date which is unusual for shield nickels.

Good job! |:cheering:

bob_e99
11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
:congrats: on another very good weekend. I have to chuckle at your nickels as I have gone back to not finding them again. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see that you are able to do some :detecting: on the weekend.

del
11-04-2013, 04:51 PM
yup i agree with Tony shield nickles alone are very uncommon but to find one with rays is rare :perfect10: <: :happydance01: i only have two myself but i was very lucky , my first was a '66. congrats on it and the other coins Matt :clapping: :clapping:

coinnut
11-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Yep...no rays here lol That is a great find. Even here where we get our fair share of shield nickels, rays are still very hard to come by. Congrats. :beerbuddy:

jkress
11-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Wow! Rays on a Shield!! :clapping: :peace:

None in my collection either. I'm very glad to see you added one to yours. :beerbuddy:

Congratulations on a great find.