PDA

View Full Version : Tearout week two, Sterling rouge Jar cap(Simmons Brothers)

tech125
11-03-2013, 09:21 PM
This is week two detecting the old property/athletic field that is being rehabbed. It rained for two days prior to Saturday & I went back knowing it would be muddy. The day started off slow with around 7 wheat pennies then I got a nice 57 Rosie, good start. Another hour goes by and I get a great signal near the older part of the tearout, a 1937 Mercury dime. I had so much mud on my boots it felt like they each weighed a pound heavier than normal. Got home and cleaned the coins off and found a no date Indian head penny that I need to tumble and might be able to clean it up some...Sunday I was back at it again, although it was a little drier in some areas. After a few wheat pennies and some clad I decided to detect near the what I call the pile which is a huge dirt pile 30 feet high 200ft or more across from the scrape. I know this is where the majority of the silver is hiding....
I get a nice high signal kind of like a larger bottle cap or Snapple lid sounding target(don't remember the vdi) so I dig it. I have my small shovel with me which is very rare, I never dig with it but the mud is heavy. I dig down 4-6 inches and out pops this silver looking monogramed thing, cleaned it off and on the side its marked sterling. I think its a sterling flask topper but could be wrong, it weighs 7.5 grams. Does anyone recognize the hallmark to the left of Sterling, its half worn off? There is also another number hand engraved under the stamped numbers. Had a great weekend, thanks for looking, HH.

coinMD64
11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I liked the sterling silver flask topper. I think that the silver flask topper may date to late 19th or early 20th century. The cap have fancy embossed emblems and fancy Old English name initals. Besides the fancy silver flask topper,you have nice finds from the tearout. Cool finds by the way! thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
11-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Hey Rob, that sterling silver flask rouge jar cap is AWESOME! |:cheering:

That's really a great find. I bet it's old! :yes:

coinnut
11-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Ornate looking cap. thumbsup01 A very nice silver relic to have. Congrats on finding it and doing a great job of cleaning it up.

zrickkid
11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Nice job Rob. I hope to see you there this weekend. I was in Saint louis last weekend.
:angelic:

tech125
11-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Posted on 925-1000.com forums and they said it's a rouge jar cap, by Simons Bro and company.

http://www.925-1000.com/ax_simonsbros.html

milco
11-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Congrats on some great finds! Good luck on future hunts before they finish that project!