PDA

View Full Version : nameplate back after 70 years + finds

Johan K
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi brothers on the other side of the big pond !

Last year I've payed a visit to France during the holidays. Next to our campingsite was an old castle (chateau) with some old fields. I've asked permission to hunt these fields and it was no problem. There I found an old copper-plate with the name of that castle, it was all worn out so I took it home and cleaned it up and polished it. Then I went to the castle and spoke to the owner. She recognized the plate because it was missing for at least 70 years. What happened........the Germans occupied the castle during the 2nd WW and turned the place into a HQ of the SS. They took the copperplate off and threw it away. And now, after all these years the plate is back home. Even the holes in the wall next to the front door were still there, were the screws had been to fix the plate. She recognized the plate even from a picture with her grandfather on it. So, she put the plate back on the wall. Great story ! She thanked me with a great bottle of her finest wine, when I got back home a friend told me that was a hundred dollar bottle......haha. Well, I've enjoyed it. :beerbuddy:

On the pic's you see were the plate got back. The next picture are my finds that holiday. The silver box is a sigarettebox made of silver with a date (1913) and name. Found it in a ditch, could be a foxhole from the 1st WW. :pirate:

Best regards, Johan

del
11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Johan , that was a great story and a great thing you did by returning the copper plate to the Chateau owner sir :perfect10: the relics , coins and jewelry in the picture are super :clapping: :clapping: . thanks for posting it . |:cheering:

Dan

coinnut
11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Great story and a perfect ending. I bet they were happy to put that nameplate back where it belongs :clapping:

jkress
11-07-2013, 02:21 AM
It is really fun to click on posts like your's from 'on the other side of the big pond'. :->

I enjoyed the pictures and especially the items you recovered. :yes:

giant056
11-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Congrats on finding and returning the plate to where it belongs thumbsup01

:congrats:

milco
11-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Hello Johan! That is an outstanding story, congratulations on the return! :clapping:

KennyD
11-09-2013, 02:32 PM
:clapping: Great story and nice gesture on your part Johan. And nice finds as well!

Tony Two-Cent
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
What an incredible story, Johan! How wonderful that the nameplate is back in its rightful place after all these years.

:perfect10:

Lodge Scent
11-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Now that is cool !