PDA

View Full Version : sef coils on v3

pinpointa
11-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking at the sef coils for the beach using all metal or mixed mode in 22.5 frequency. This will be at the back of the beach to the towel line. How much more depth on a u.s. dime with the 10 dd against the larger sef coils.

I want the best depth not worried about the coverage so much. We do have a dealer here in Australia for deteck coils but they have no idea of what extra depth you can get.

Regards Pinpointa. :confused:

Lowjiber
11-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I only have one SEF coil. It's a 15x18 that I bought for an experiment when they first came on the scene (2007? maybe??).

I don't think they'd be significantly deeper, especially at 22.5 Hz.

If you're looking to increase depth, drop that freq down to 2.5 Hz.

pinpointa
11-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi Lowjiber,

Thanks for the reply. The latest sef coils are v rated and they advertise that 22.5 frequency works ok. Tried the 2.5 frequency on the 10 inch coil today and not as good as the 22.5 frequency on gold chains and rings.

Regards Pinpointa.

Lowjiber
11-07-2013, 09:06 AM
That's not surprising. I thought you were just looking for depth at the beach. Gold reacts better to higher frequencies. For example, my dedicated gold detector operates at 71KHz.

yazoo
11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I would have to go with a concentric like the Whites Super 12 DD's are more suited for mineralized ground. Yazoo

DonM
11-08-2013, 07:50 AM
I have to agree with yazoo re the 12 concentric coil - I just picked one up for beach use only...nearly mint for $82.00.....and the seller has one more left - PM me if you want me to send you info on what forum it is being advertised on.

yazoo
11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Meant to say in earlier post the DD is better for mineralized ground. Yazoo

Vito
11-10-2013, 06:28 AM
+ DD's have better target separation. Like them a lot more in trashy areas. :detecting:

Boulder
11-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi Lowjiber,

Thanks for the reply. The latest sef coils are v rated and they advertise that 22.5 frequency works ok. Tried the 2.5 frequency on the 10 inch coil today and not as good as the 22.5 frequency on gold chains and rings.

Regards Pinpointa.

I was wondering, why not run all three frequencies to take advantage of the VDI feature?
I don't see the depth you may gain prevailing over the possibility of missing a larger scope of valuable finds.
Thanks, John. :interesting:

MartinL
11-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I have seldon taken off my 8x6 SEF from the V3i since getting it in January, and found many new silvers compared to the past history. I run 3-tone all the time. Anybody who hasn't enjoyed one of these just hasn't tried them yet. K-co sells them saying they are for the Whites V3i and so far mine's always passed the test.

freemindstuck
01-25-2014, 11:52 PM
I took my V3I out a few days ago and got to try my new 8x6 SEF coil for the first time. I was hunting an old farm house from the late 1800's with a buddy of mine. A lot of iron targets, but i did dig a decent double sided brass button at 6 inches. The interesting thing was I had my buddy come over to look at the target before digging, with his minelab explorer and 10.5 inch stock coil. He got nothing but null when sweeping it. But my SEF coil picked the target out of the trash clearly with a consistent vdi. I haven't used it a lot yet but I think I'm going to like this coil.

coinnut
01-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Congrats on the button. Any design on it? The Explorer has a very slow recovery time and it takes a lot of experience in hunting with one at an iron infested site, especially if you have a lot of iron rejection on it. Also, the stock coil is not as good as the one the E trac has. A lot of Explorer people bought the E Trac coil (Pro coil) to replace the existing coil. But in my experience with the E Trac, (I don't have an explorer), the SEF coils react much better than the stock Minelab coils. I have noticed that effect on the DFX as well. Standing farm houses are some of the hardest sites to detect, even harder than a cellar hole sometimes, due to the ongoing layers of junk and iron targets. You did well sneaking out that button.:clapping:

Ronandari
01-27-2014, 04:54 PM
I took my V3I out a few days ago and got to try my new 8x6 SEF coil for the first time. I was hunting an old farm house from the late 1800's with a buddy of mine. A lot of iron targets, but i did dig a decent double sided brass button at 6 inches. The interesting thing was I had my buddy come over to look at the target before digging, with his minelab explorer and 10.5 inch stock coil. He got nothing but null when sweeping it. But my SEF coil picked the target out of the trash clearly with a consistent vdi. I haven't used it a lot yet but I think I'm going to like this coil.

I agree with you Freemindstuck. I think you will love that coil. I have found that it is better at target ID than the 6x9 with better depth and separation. It is my go to coil now for almost all sites with the exception of low trash open fields where I use the 10x12 SEF. i felt that it is a little high on VDIs so I keep that in mind when discriminating.

Ron

freemindstuck
03-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Ok, I'm now a acolyte of Detech's SEF coils! I have been making a lot of good finds with my 6x8 SEF coil on my v3i, but it didn't really sink in how good this coil was till last night. I had an hour or so to kill so I decided to go over to my neighbors yard who I'm friendly with and let's me hunt whenever I like. I decided to hunt the little front yard again which I've hit a lot with my 10" DD coil. And in all fairness to my stock coil it is an EMI and trash ridden area. But after getting my detector settled down I pulled 6 wheats, 2 Indian Heads, a token, and some play money from the fifties out of that yard. And as I'm digging coin after coin I'm thinking, "How often am I going to take this coil off of my detector?" and, "Which of my White's coils should I sell so that I can justify getting another SEF coil?"

MartinL
03-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Ok, I'm now a acolyte of Detech's SEF coils! I have been making a lot of good finds with my 6x8 SEF coil on my v3i, but it didn't really sink in how good this coil was till last night. I had an hour or so to kill so I decided to go over to my neighbors yard who I'm friendly with and let's me hunt whenever I like. I decided to hunt the little front yard again which I've hit a lot with my 10" DD coil. And in all fairness to my stock coil it is an EMI and trash ridden area. But after getting my detector settled down I pulled 6 wheats, 2 Indian Heads, a token, and some play money from the fifties out of that yard. And as I'm digging coin after coin I'm thinking, "How often am I going to take this coil off of my detector?" and, "Which of my White's coils should I sell so that I can justify getting another SEF coil?"

Well, you don't need the 6x10 anymore. Sell that coil. I bought a 10x12SEF lately and except for a backup coil...the 10"D2 Whites coil won't be used here either. I should sell two coils myself.

My 6x10 coil has always been "a dog" but it passes the tests.

Tom
04-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Well, you don't need the 6x10 anymore. Sell that coil. I bought a 10x12SEF lately and except for a backup coil...the 10"D2 Whites coil won't be used here either. I should sell two coils myself.

My 6x10 coil has always been "a dog" but it passes the tests.

Selling?

KSHOLLYWOOD
10-18-2014, 09:50 AM
I have the ultimate 13 by detec and love it, sef coils have awesome separation and are deep