PDA

View Full Version : Us New Englanders really are lucky to be where we are

Lodge Scent
11-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I suppose we are not as lucky as are European friends when it comes to finding the old stuff, but us New Englanders should not complain. I travel quite a bit for work. I find myself in Idaho this week. Showed a couple of guys pics of my east coast cellar hole finds and they just drool. &quot:daydream:ld out in most parts Idaho is only 100 years. They dream of finding any coin older than 1900. Digging a Large Cent is unheard of in these parts. Next time I dig a crusty KG or CT copper, I will not complain about not being able to get a date off of it :)

del
11-07-2013, 03:38 AM
this is true Jeff but out there they have some rare saloon , store , merchant type tokens i would love to recover .

Lodge Scent
11-10-2013, 10:29 PM
That's for sure Dan. One of the guys has dug a six shooter and has dug more silver than I will see in a lifetime, including a few Morgan dollars. But I guess it's human nature to yearn for what you don't have.

tanacat
11-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes I am envious of ya'll out on the East Coast... :yes: But it's great to be able to see pics and read about them here on this fine forum.

Here in Kentucky I've been fortunate to find some good sites where my city (Lexington) was founded in 1779... I found one site while arrowhead hunting a corn field. I saw chards of china/pottery and property owner told me it was one of the first settlements here. I've found lots of flat buttons, watch winders, cufflinks, etc... but no coins there yet.

Actually I took a friend there and he found a piece of 8 Spanish reale- >:{ I'm happy for him, but I was supposed to find that! lol

Skamaniac
11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah, Lewis and Clark didn't pass by my area until 1805 and the area wasn't utlized much by settlers until the 1850's, and it wasn't popular until the 1880's. Like I've said before, the only thing over 200 years old I've ever seen in person was my second grade teacher. But I'm a fan of the 1880 to 1930 era for logging and settlements so I'm happy with it.

bob_e99
11-13-2013, 07:58 AM
I think every state has some nice coins to find and while in New England we can find older coppers and such, just look at the square mileage of other states versus the size of New England states. Way more potential area to search. Also, it's probably more likely to find a gold coin west of our area than in New England. Bottom line, it's just a great hobby and totally fun to dig up that next WOW find. Happy hunting everyone.

One last note though about New England. Unless we travel, we have to hibernate for the winter months. :(