PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Hunts

bob_e99
11-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Since my last post, I have been out swinging about 5 or 6 times and I think my little streak of silver has come to a dead stop. While I wasn't getting silver on every single hunt, I was getting a little something every two or three hunts but no longer. My last site I went to was where I found the Barber quarter. This was the best site of the group as while I wasn't finding any silver, I was getting deep targets. In any case here are the results of these hunts.

First and obviously, the clad.
[attachimg=1]

Another baseball medallion and a runners medallion. When I first saw the runners medallion, I thought it was an image of World Was Z lol
[attachimg=2]

A zippo lighter.
[attachimg=3]

Some foreign coins (not sure from where)
[attachimg=4]

Now I don't know about your neck of the woods, but around here we hunt for the big game.
[attachimg=5]
The round has actually been neutered. No firing pin and no powder. I assume someone lost their souvenir.

As I mentioned about the last site, I was pulling stuff up from down deep.
[attachimg=6]
I don't know what the 'buckles' are but maybe Dan can identify them if they are not junk.

I also pulled up something that I initially thought was a coin but I'm not sure what it is. I can't make out any details.
[attachimg=7] [attachimg=8]

And lastly, I initially thought that this was a draped bust when I pulled it from the hole. I think it had more detail when I first pulled it and I think the cleaning wiped away quite a bit unfortunately. In any case, now that I can see it more clearly, I think it's a King George and would appreciate someone confirming or correcting me. Thanks.
Unfortunately, it is really worn.
[attachimg=9][attachimg=10]

Thanks for looking and HH everyone.

z118
11-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Nice digs with a mess of clad and a sweet old copper. That one sort of coin item is a head scratcher for sure. I've dug a few items like that and I'm never quite certain what to do with them.

del
11-07-2013, 06:09 PM
hey Bob , i'd take those hunts any day :clapping: :clapping:

your mysterious copper is a French Louis XV Liard , 1/2 sol or sol 1715-1774
the liard is 22mm in size
the1/2 sol is 24mm and
the sol is 28 mm .

congrats on the old copper |:cheering: |:cheering:
the buckles look to be a type of horse related tack and the other item that is similar in appearance to a coin looks more pewter to me from the picture but could be a campaign medal or religeous token , maybe a watch fob , i wish i could offer more on it .

Dan

bob_e99
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Dan, once again I am very thankful for your knowledge. No wonder I could not find the coin on the web as I was searching out English coins. The coin I have is 28 mm in diameter which would make it the sol. I would never have discovered this one without your help and not only that but you have made me aware of a whole new type of coin to look out for.

:beerbuddy:

Matt, I get to keep this one right? :grin:

wisconsin digger
11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Nice finds. It would be nice if all coins would come out looking like silver and gold. Wisconsin Digger

bob_e99
11-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Nice finds. It would be nice if all coins would come out looking like silver and gold. Wisconsin Digger

Indeed it would be nice. I imaging the first detectorists probably pulled up more silver than anything else. That must have been very sweet indeed.

OxShoeDrew
11-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Wow, lots of cool digging....is that lira from Cyprus? I googled it and saw Cyprus.

leslie(nova scotia)
11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Interesting assortment. especially like the baseball token. <;)

aloldstuff
11-10-2013, 07:22 PM
:congrats: on getting out and swinging. Huge pile of clad and the size of that bullet is scary. Don't worry silver will start to show up soon.

I have only managed about 20 old coppers but the thrill of seeing one in the hole never gets old.

coinnut
11-10-2013, 07:47 PM
You got some great finds there. :clapping: Nice looking medals, copper :smitten:, buckle covers and of course that tiny ammo round lol Is that a 50 cal?? :shocked03:

bob_e99
11-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Wow, lots of cool digging....is that lira from Cyprus? I googled it and saw Cyprus.

After seeing your post I decided to research the coins and it turns out to be funny money. The coins are made for a group that play role playing games at various camp sites. One of the head of the group posted on another forum explaining the game and how the coins were made by some company.

bob_e99
11-13-2013, 08:08 AM
You got some great finds there. :clapping: Nice looking medals, copper :smitten:, buckle covers and of course that tiny ammo round lol Is that a 50 cal?? :shocked03:

Yes, that round is a 50 cal. I was shocked when I first found it but then realized it was an empty round and like I said, probably just a souvenir.

bob_e99
11-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to post a comment. Despite the fact that there's no date on the copper, it really made me happy. The historical aspect of some of the coins just fascinates me.

Happy hunting.

(Please excuse the multiple responses. I haven't figured out this new software yet and wasn't able to insert multiple quotes.)