PDA

View Full Version : Returning old timer from Alabama

grandpawmoses
11-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Hello,
I've been away from detecting for at least twenty-five years now. I'm retired & just last week bought a new one, the advanced technology is impressive. I'm currently just practicing in the yard with it because I've got a little disability from the Vietnam war that left me a little short on arm strength. It's gotten worse as the years go on but I'm hoping MD'ing will be good therapy. Possibly will try a Pro-Swing 45 when the funds get right.
David

Longhair
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM
::usaflag:: Welcome!
And glad to have you rejoin the hobby! I took a similar hiatus, but it comes back quickly, even with the new techie stuff.

Oh, and as it was sadly said too little at the time, Thank you for your honorable service to our country.

del
11-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Hello David , welcome back to the hobby and to the forum :waving:. thank you for your service to our country sir . :yes: yes the technology has really improved in the last decade or two and there are some very light weight machines now days too. I wish you a lot of success and am glad you joined us . |:cheering:

Dan

coinnut
11-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Welcome back David. :clapping: Yes, the technology is impressive, the machines lighter, but one sad thing....the coins are scarcer lol It was a lot different back then. Now we fight for our finds :pirate: And another Thank You for you service, so that we have the freedom and safety to do things we like, including metal detecting ::usaflag::

Tony Two-Cent
11-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad you joined the forum, David! I, too, took an extended break from the hobby. I detected a lot back in the 1980s and just recently got back into the hobby in 2011.

I can tell you that regular metal detecting certainly has increased my arm strength, not just from swinging the detector but from digging as well. I hope it helps you too.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress! :yes:

Fire Fighter 43
11-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby from SE Wisconsin. I used a bungie type system for many years before I had my shoulder fixed. There are a couple different ones out there that might fit your budget, just do a google search and I m sure a few will pop up. Good luck and do not forget to post some of your finds.

KennyD
11-09-2013, 10:38 AM
:waving:Welcome aboard David!

Skamaniac
11-09-2013, 11:39 PM
::usaflag:: Welcome to the group and I hope you have a great Veteran's Day. ::usaflag::

OxShoeDrew
11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Thank you for your service David! Get out there on Veteran's Day and find a cache |:cheering: |:confused:) |:confused:) (welcome to the group)

aloldstuff
11-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Welcome from western MA. Gotta love the new technology. Thank you for your service and looking forward to your future posts.

tanacat
11-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Howdy from Kentucky :waving: Like Jeff said, a bungee system can really help. I just got the Pro-Swing harness due to shoulder issues and it works great, but I think you could easily rig something up on your own with bungees.

Something else helpful might be Aircast Elbow Braces. They're only $12 online. My friend who hunts for long periods swears by them... I think I'll order some now while I'm thinking about it lol

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are able to hunt without pain.

Congrats on being retired and able to hunt your heart's desire :detecting:

Boulder
11-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Hello and Welcome from John in New Jersey. :coffeelaugh: