PDA

View Full Version : Silver from Iowa and Illinois

Tony Two-Cent
11-10-2013, 09:39 PM
[size=36pt]IOWA

Jkress and Rgorman were nice enough to invite me up to Iowa for a day of metal detecting on Saturday. I have always wanted to meet Joe and do some metal detecting with him, and we were finally able to make it happen! I had hunted with Rgorman (Ron) earlier this year in Wisconsin. It was good to see Ron again. We met at a park at about 9:15 a.m. The old coins were hiding from us at this first park but I did manage a 1918-S Mercury Dime that was only 3 deep.

After a while we decided to move on to a larger park, and at this site the old coins started popping up. I got 2 Mercs, 2 Rosies and 15 wheat cents. When we took a break for lunch I had a pork loin sandwich that was to die for at Hy-Vee, and Joe even bought my lunch! Thanks again, Joe! Next time I'm buying!

We went back to the same large park after the lunch break and all three of us ended up with silver. Ron had the find of the day, but I will let him tell about it. (Not a coin.) It was a very fun day and I had a blast. The weather was absolutely perfect. It was great meeting Joe finally, and nice to hunt with Ron again. We said our goodbyes as the sun was setting and I headed back to my hotel. I really look forward to hunting with Joe and Ron again someday.

By the way, thanks for the pink gloves, Ron! lol

Here are my finds from Iowa:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Iowa-Pile_zps8187da08.jpg

The silvers from Iowa:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Iowa-Silver_zps5a4507bb.jpg

[size=36pt]Illinois

This morning I checked out of my hotel early and drove back to Silver Park. I started hunting there at about 9:00 a.m. and hunted until 4:45 p.m. I guess this park is starting to show the signs of me hunting it so much as the silvers weren't exactly jumping out of the ground into my pouch today. Neverthless, I ended up getting 6 more silver coins out of this park, all of them Mercs. I also got 23 wheat cents and a no date Buffalo Nickel. That makes 46 total silvers out of this park in four hunts, and also puts me at 150 silvers for the year.

Here are my finds from Silver Park today:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Illinois-Pile_zpsa3b13ab9.jpg

And today's silvers:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Illinois-Silver_zps70d229a6.jpg

Just for my amusement I sorted the wheat cents by decade and once again there are NONE from the 1950s.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Illinois-Wheats_zps1cacd379.jpg

All of the silvers from this weekend:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Silver-1110_zps6bc2af2c.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

del
11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
well first off i'm very disappointed Tony , pink gloves and no action pictures of you showing them off \:hammer: \:hammer: ;)

now about the rest of the hunts :shocked04: :wow: :shocked04:stretcher: very nice amount of silver and wheats i'm very happy you met up with our very own Jkress (Joe) and Rgorman (Ron) . its sounds like a great time you gents had :envious:

Hook
11-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Tony thats an amazing couple of hunts. i bet you never get tired of seeing that silver in the hole do you ? lol

congrats on all the oldies ! you make it look easy . :perfect10:

Digger Don
11-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Looks like you had a great day. Good for you.
That's a very nice lot of mercs

wisconsin digger
11-11-2013, 05:26 AM
I have a bright orange glove but have not donned any pink one's yet. great array of coins and nice road trip. The silver is always nice to look at. Wisconsin Digger

giant056
11-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Awesome weekend hunt indeed Tony thumbsup01 excellent score on all them silvers too :cheesysmile:
:congrats:

bob_e99
11-11-2013, 09:24 AM
:congrats: Tony on some very nice hunts. Seems like you can find silver no matter where you go. Travelling to different areas adds a new dimension of fun to detecting.

|:cheering:

coinnut
11-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Hmmm pink gloves :thinkingabout: Must be that silver stands out against pink lol Glad you met up with Joe and Ron |:cheering: You got some nice early Mercs in that bunch. It's funny...Iowa silver looks just as good as Illinois silver ;) I believe that in the 50's every kid in town must have been grounded lol It is weird, considering that we have change in our pockets that spans 20-30 years at least, but no coins from the 50's. It would be interesting to see the last date in the 40's and the first date in the 60's that you have found. Nice hunts Tony.

z118
11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Yikes, that's a mess of silver Tony! I'm afraid any hope I had of keeping pace with your silver count this year has gone out the window. crying01 Congrats on some fine hunting!

Full Metal Digger
11-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Nice finds Tony. Was the Iowa soils different or is it like what we have here?

Epi-hunter
11-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Wow.... love seeing that Iowa silver! (All the midwestern silver, actually). Congratulations and I'm glad you were able to get together! Next time let me know and I will try to make it as well!

:perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
11-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Nice finds Tony. Was the Iowa soils different or is it like what we have here?

Dave, the soil in Iowa is very similar to the soil here in Illinois. Easy digging this time of year.

jkress
11-13-2013, 12:25 AM
It was great to finally meet the Illinois legend. Thanks for coming over to our side of the Mississippi Tony. Great fall weather greeted us when we
pulled up after an hour and a half road trip. :-)

Both Ron and I were happy to see you were on FIRE for the day!! You were popping out Iowa silvers like a pro.

I just picked up today Ron's beauty to photograph. He plans on posting his finds tomorrow... and me too.

Looking forward to the next time we can swing our coils over the same ground!!

[size=36pt]IOWA
After a while we decided to move on to a larger park, and at this site the old coins started popping up. I got 2 Mercs, 2 Rosies and 15 wheat cents. When we took a break for lunch I had a pork loin sandwich that was to die for at Hy-Vee, and Joe even bought my lunch! Thanks again, Joe! Next time I'm buying!

It was my pleasure Tony. Like I said, "You came all the way over here for a hunt with us. The least I can do is buy you lunch." LOL

Another weekend hunt congrats to you and especially on breaking your last year record!!!!

PL8MAN
11-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Love all that silver ! Congrats
Glen

Lodge Scent
11-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Man that is a lot of shiney stuff :congrats: