PDA

View Full Version : first e-trac silver

randy
05-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Started out as a frustrating day -- digging nothing but iron :bangahead01:. For some reason, I can't get the hang of when the e-trac is telling me I got deep iron -- it all sounds so good and diggable to me :confused: :confused:. Hopefully I'll get a few good deep non-iron targets for comparison, and get more practice.

Anyway, heading back to go home, this one just about blew my ears off. I was sure it was a half dollar or more likely a canslaw. It pinpointed at 4 inches deep, but it was directly on edge, with the top edge only about a 1/16 of an inch below the surface. Came out right in the side of the plug (being on edge must have thrown the pinpoint into the center of the plug).

Still looking for e-trac deep silver, but at least we got shallow silver.

Beefcake
05-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Don't feel bad... The first week was aweful with the iron digs. I dug about 80% iron in that first week. They do sound really good and it makes you want to dig. The key with knowing when it is iron is in pinpoint. Most of the time when you use normal mode to get a good idea where the target is centered and then you hit pinpoint... iron will almost always move a couple/few inches from where you get your best signal... if it moves it is a dead give away it is iron. Good targets will be right where you think it is when you hit pinpoint. I've noticed that if you pay attention to the FE # if it skips around alot to in the 16 or above range it is iron. Pay close attention to the CO numbers... If it is hitting in the 45 - 47 range you want to dig it to be sure...but if it mixes with a large FE number and doesn't remain constant and then it moves when you hit pinpoint...odds are it is iron or junk. It will take a couple weeks to get comfortable with it, but it just starts to click and you tend to ignore the right signals and also dig the really good signals. Good luck!!! Nice silver too!!

coinnut
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey Randy, silver is silver lol I'd take that. BC is right about the iron. I use a simple pattern of Ferrous 2 tones and blacken out 31-35, so the iron mostly nulls and the rest I dig. But only if it repeats in the same place every swing. Iron bounces. Believe me, if you work an iron traget long enough, you can make it sound good. lol But good targets don't take too much effort to sound good. You will get the hang of it, it just takes getting out and digging a bunch of signals. Congrats on the silver. Ummm. What happened to the V3? :huh:

randy
05-15-2010, 05:49 PM
What happened to the V3? :huh:

Yeah, I know you guys have given me alot of tips on the iron (thanks), it just hasn't sunk in yet. It seems mostly in the CO 43-45 range, and I guess it bounces, but I'm used to the big bounces on the DFX/V3.

I still have the V3. I hope to compare them side by side someday if I ever get competent with the e-trac.

angellionel
05-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Congrats, Randy! There will be more. thumbsup01