PDA

View Full Version : Another awesome weekend

OkieDigger
11-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Dave and I met up this morning around 9 am. I found us a couple of new locations to try out. The first location was an old park from the 1890's. I know it's been hit pretty hard before, but thought we'd give it a try for just a bit. I stuck to the outside edges of the park where most detectorists probably hadn't bothered much. Within a few minutes I had my first confirmation that the park still held some old coins. It was a 1916 wheat at just about 7. A little later I found another buffalo nickel. How odd that I found my first one for the year last week and now I found another. This one had a mint mark too! It was a 1929 D. Sadly, I barely nicked it on the back. It looks worse in the picture than in person. A little while later I dug another wheat.

The battery on my pinpointer died so I went to the car and replaced it. I decided to head over to Dave and see how he was doing. When I got near him I could see that he had his camera out and was taking pictures of something in the hole. He saw me and gave me that silver smile. Awesome! I'll let him tell about his find in his post. I was pretty happy for him as the silver can be hard to come by around these parts. Not too far from Dave I dug another wheat.

Pickin's got a little slim and we grew tired of the site. I wanted to try another site before going home. This site was an old park that had been forgotten about years before detectors had come out. We pulled up to the site to find that the gate was locked. No bother, we decided to hit the area outside the gate on city property. The very first target I dug was a 1919 s merc. Sweet. But it gets better. A mere 6 from the merc I get another hit. Hmm, what could this be? When I dug it out all I could see was the edge in the dirt clod. I had to take a picture of it. By this time Dave says, Nobody will believe you. I'm seeing this and I don't believe it. Then he says something to the effect of, Knowing your luck it's a Barber. Wow, Dave sure can call them. Indeed it was a 1907 Barber dime! Sweet. Hey Dave, next time call it a Seated for me OK? :grin: I was one happy camper. Unfortunately my wishing well dried up so we called it quits for the day.

I had a great time Dave! Thanks for hanging out with an old Okie. :cheesysmile:

Snowy
11-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Nice job! Sounds like you guys had a good time.
Those are the best time... fun with friends and a few good finds.
Makes for a great day.
Nice diggin's!

angellionel
11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
That had to be a fun hunt. :) I know the feeling you get when pulling out one of those babies. Very nice finds!

hockeyguy
11-07-2009, 08:22 PM
i like ur thinking...outside the gate....edging of the park! good job.

Epi-hunter
11-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Great finds Dale! I have to drive 800 miles to find barber dimes :grin:

That is an incredible day! You do give me hope, that I can find places in my own area that might give up some silver. Great silver! Congrats thumbsup01

bmattioli
11-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a nice hunt you guys.. You two did great. Sweet finds and nice pictues..

Bruce

del
11-07-2009, 08:40 PM
thats some very good silver and nice pictures Dale . congrats on the barber , merc and wheats.

Dan

Bentfork
11-07-2009, 08:52 PM
WTG Dale!

Dave
11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Those two silver's sure look alot better than they did the last time I saw them. You guy's.. When and where Dale found these coins was pretty cool in itself. I was following Dale to this site and when I saw a fenced in area I felt the wind leave my sail. I was thinking Okay:huh: Dale suggested we hit along the fence line and see what happens. Well, I was game for that. Thinking to myself, all we will find here is pop cans and trash. I start off in one direction and Dale in the other. Seconds later. I'm not kidding seconds later he has a target. I got over to him just in time to see the merc just sitting ontop of the bottom of the plug. Awesome..... Okay! I'm off to go get mine and Dale call's me right back to the hole. I watched him dig this one and there on edge is sitting another silver! Unbelievable.. Nice going Dale!! thumbsup01

z118
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Nice digs! Finds like that would make my day for sure. I'm still waiting for my first Buff. Congrats!

Jason in Enid
11-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Great finds! Love that old silver!

coinnut
11-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice finds!! I love that silver!! But what's up with the Wheats:huh: That 1916 is in better shape than the 1953D is. Must of been a bad year for copper :grin:

MNDigger
11-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Glad to see that both of you had some good luck! WTG on the silver, buff and wheats Okie! I need to get my butt in gear and try and maintain my lead because I have a feeling the streak you are on it will not take long before I am back in second! :tongue:

Krom
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Wow... what a day, OD...! thumbsup01

OkieDigger
11-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone! I was just happy to get out and do some detecting.

marchas45
11-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks like you guys had a great time. Nice finds OD always love that silver. thumbsup01