PDA

View Full Version : Worn out Fugio Cent, Early Naval button, tombacs, and a knee buckle?

sniffy
05-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Got out today for a colonial hunt with Foundation Hunter (Gary). I headed down to his neck of the woods today. As we headed to one of his early colonial sites, I notice a spot that looked very VERY good for a cellar hole. I had him stop. I dashed up the bank and sure enough a colonial cellar hole. He had been through this area SEVERAL times and looked it over. Anyhow, we decided to head to the original spot we decided on and then come back to the one I found later. SO we finnaly get to the site were several early coppers and buttons have been dug, I thought for sure he had this place cleaned out but I managed to find an early navy button..(any help would be appreciated) and a large flat button. After a few hours here we decided to go hit the cellar I found while in the car. So we get there, and in no time at all Gary has a descent Coronet...this place has major potential. After finding 2 nice tombacs, I finnaly get the signal all colonial hunters thrive for. Out pops a Fugio Cent, It's in very rough shape and hardly identifiable, but I know 100% it is a fugio. While in the field, the coin was very recognizable......but after all the crust just flaked away and I gently cleaned it......toast! Hey, copper is copper. And then before we are about to leave I get a very nice signal on the DFX at about 5 inches, and out pops this buckle...I think it is a knee buckle (again, any help is appreciated)....Thanks for lookin.

coinnut
05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey, Nice copper. Can't help you on the Fugio or the knee buckle, cause I can't see them. I don't think they took, but you can modify your post to add them. Nice hunt!! A copper is a copper, that's for sure. lol We'll take them any way we can ;)

sniffy
05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I resized all my pics down to below 300KB and they still won't work....grrr...I'll try to take new pics.

sniffy
05-15-2010, 06:28 PM
here we go

sniffy
05-15-2010, 06:30 PM
more

del
05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
very good day Jesse nice naval button looks to be an early one at that ( late 1700's to maybe 1810 ) and nice knee buckle as well.

Dan

angellionel
05-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Good hunt there! Those cellar holes sure do yield some old coppers. :shocked04:stretcher:

sniffy
05-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys, the button blew me away....it's funny, apparently the only military buttons I can find have anchors....

coinnut
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM
it's funny, apparently the only military buttons I can find have anchors....

Oh no, it deja vu. Hurry up and join the Navy lol Maybe you already have in a previous life? :confused:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-16-2010, 05:46 AM
NICE JOB!some nice stuff jess! congrats on your first Fugio! thumbsup01

John M
05-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Nice finds Jesse.Don't forget that the Marines also used anchors on their buttons and a lot of them are quite similar to the Naval buttons.It all depends on what way the anchor is tilted on some of them.

sniffy
05-16-2010, 06:33 AM
NICE JOB!some nice stuff jess! congrats on your first Fugio! thumbsup01
Yeah it's just to bad it's toasted like the one you found crying01 :crying02:

sniffy
05-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Nice finds Jesse.Don't forget that the Marines also used anchors on their buttons and a lot of them are quite similar to the Naval buttons.It all depends on what way the anchor is tilted on some of them.
Yeah, there's so many variations.

RIdetector
05-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Good Hunt!!!

zrickkid
08-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Those are some cool finds. We cant duplicate those here in Illinois without going onto restricted land or properties!

catskillcomics
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Okay, this is the second Knee buckle I've seen in the last week.. what the heck are Knee buckles?? Inquiring minds want to know :eyebrow:

coinnut
08-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Okay, this is the second Knee buckle I've seen in the last week.. what the heck are Knee buckles?? Inquiring minds want to know :eyebrow:

lol Exactly what it sounds like. In the ancient times lol (@ 1700's+) they used to have knee buckles to go with their shoe buckles and belt buckles rofl I guess they liked buckles. :dontknow: They are a smaller version of shoe buckles. Del has found a lot of them, especially at the buckle site we hit this and last year. Speaking of that Del, I kinda have a hunch to go back there soon :cheesysmile: I don't know if I have a picture of one, but if I do I will post it Scott.

tanacat
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing!