PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunting with Del and then some

coinnut
05-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Went out with Del early this morning (on the road by 4:30 lol). He asked me where I wanted to go, so I told him. Lucky me ;) We hit an old standy that has been good to us (Del mostly :rolleyes:). But today it was good to me. Got about 9 buttons, thimble, other stuff and 2 really beat up coppers. A 1807? Draped Bust Large Cent, and a really beat up Matron Head Large Cent/washer lol. Then got a bent (but straightened back, long ago) 1777 Carlous IIII Half Reale :happydance01: (Mexico City) The Spanish silver drought is over. After that I went to an old house and wandered around until I got a clad quarter, a silver Roosevelt and a pretty nice 1937 Buffalo. Before anyone asks, I scrubbed it very hard with a wet and soapy brass brush (block type). If you scrub hard enough, the red comes right off along with some skin :ticked: A super day for me and 2 more coppers and silvers for the count. Thanks for looking.

Epi-hunter
05-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Wow George! Really nice :) Love the half reale. And a really nice buff with a date on it (you did not scrub it with a brass brush!! :bop:)

And that dancing smiley looks good on you lol

coinnut
05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
And a really nice buff with a date on it (you did not scrub it with a brass brush!! :bop:)

I did lol

And that dancing smiley looks good on you lol

It does rofl

sniffy
05-15-2010, 07:14 PM
another killer day for you guys! Oh how I'd love to pull a spanish silver this year! :drool:

del
05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
well well well the G-man has a day to be remembered , savor the moment my friend they don't come often enough.
:yes: :yes: ;) great reale its about #!%# time for some spanish silver . hey to top it off your horse button is a Jacksonian
button lucky little :ticked: heres a link yours is 5 rows down and 4 over you'll see it

http://www.bysonbuttons.com/forsalepics/wildwed/9.2.09/jacksonians1.jpg
. congrats again George .i'll be gunning for you next time partner :teasing: :teasing:
Dan

coinnut
05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
hey to top it off your horse button is a Jacksonian
button lucky little :ticked: heres a link yours is 5 rows down and 4 over you'll see it
Dan

Whoo whoo, it sold for 50 bucks, I'm rich lol

congrats again George .i'll be gunning for you next time partner :teasing: :teasing:
Dan

Yea, I figured as much :rolleyes: So that is why I kept it civil. I'll just say this :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :tongue: :tongue: :poke: :poke: :kiss: :teasing: :teasing: lol ..... :happydance01:

del
05-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I'll just say this :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :tongue: :tongue: :poke: :poke: :kiss: :teasing: :teasing: lol ..... :happydance01:

your like a little kid with a new toy :tongue: :tongue:

hey any marks on the back of that button

angellionel
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow! You had a great day, George! :shocked04: I love that Spanish silver. :cheesysmile: Really great stuff. thumbsup01

coinnut
05-15-2010, 08:24 PM
your like a little kid with a new toy :tongue: :tongue:

hey any marks on the back of that button

I'll never grow up ;)

The back mark on that 2 piece button says Superior

Wow! You had a great day, George! :shocked04: I love that Spanish silver. :cheesysmile: Really great stuff. thumbsup01

Thanks Angel. Spanish silver is our friend lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-16-2010, 05:47 AM
sweet hunt G! some nice coinage! :twirlingeyes:

John M
05-16-2010, 06:01 AM
I say you did have a good day at that old stand by site.Must be getting weeded out pretty good now.Congrats on the Spanish George they don't come too often.
What did Dan come away with?Looks like the big fella is in a slump and needs to have a good day soon.

coinnut
05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
I say you did have a good day at that old stand by site.Must be getting weeded out pretty good now.Congrats on the Spanish George they don't come too often.
What did Dan come away with?Looks like the big fella is in a slump and needs to have a good day soon.

Thanks John. It was one of them days. :yes: We just worked the site hard and hoped something would turn up. As for Dan's stuff..... He ain't talking :lipssealed:

sweet hunt G! some nice coinage! :twirlingeyes:

Thanks Dave. That only means my lumps are coming next time out lol

sjv
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Congrats coinnut! Del, you didn't go where we went did ya? By the way the Draped Bust is a BUST. No date, just outline of the head and on back I can visibly see the wreath some letters, and the first 1 of the fraction nothing under the line. Hey coinnut? What's with all the holed coins? Just joking. Dan thanks for going out Friday. Don't remember saying it. I have one button from Friday that has the word Warr with a tiny td above the last r on the back. ?? Maybe it's a designer thing. Anyway nice going guys.

RIdetector
05-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Looks lke you guys had a great hunt!!

John M
05-18-2010, 04:38 AM
I have one button from Friday that has the word Warr with a tiny td above the last r on the back. ?? Maybe it's a designer thing. Anyway nice going guys.

Sal, I do believe that the button would have warrented stamped on the back.It is a term associated with the gilting.

tanacat
05-20-2010, 11:18 PM
OH Man!! :twirlingeyes: How did I miss this thread?? What an EXCELLENT day!
Wowowowoow! Was that like the best day ever for you? I love the little horse thing- what is it? Did I miss it in your list of finds, your very long list :yes: Oh yeah, Jacksonian button... Congrats on everything! Off to look for a Dan thread now

coinnut
05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
OH Man!! :twirlingeyes: How did I miss this thread?? What an EXCELLENT day!
Wowowowoow! Was that like the best day ever for you? I love the little horse thing- what is it? Did I miss it in your list of finds, your very long list :yes: Oh yeah, Jacksonian button... Congrats on everything! Off to look for a Dan thread now

Not my best day by a long shot, but a very good day. I've had some nice Seated and Barber and Indian days at a park last year along with 4 colonial coppers too. Had other great days, mostly first day at an unhit colonial cellar hole. When you are the first one there, you just can't stop digging targets lol But it's my best day for a couple of months now. :yes: Dan was there but he's been awful quiet :lipssealed: :poke:

tanacat
05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Dan was there but he's been awful quiet :lipssealed: :poke:

Surely he has something to share :)

coinnut
05-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Surely he has something to share :)

I believe he does....... :crying02: :crying02: :poke: Come on Del, Defend thy self. He's camping, so
I'm good for a while lol

tanacat
05-21-2010, 09:10 PM
at an unhit colonial cellar hole. When you are the first one there, you just can't stop digging targets

I bet that is so satisfying to be the first... I hunted around my first cellar hole/ice house (same thing?) last week, to no avail. It was next to a old house turned bed & breakfast- built in early 1820's. They had filled it in with concrete rubble and cement for safety reasons :crying02:

coinnut
05-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I bet that is so satisfying to be the first... I hunted around my first cellar hole/ice house (same thing?) last week, to no avail. It was next to a old house turned bed & breakfast- built in early 1820's. They had filled it in with concrete rubble and cement for safety reasons :crying02:

When you are the first one at any site, you get pretty darn giddy lol There are good signals everywhere. After that, it's hard to go back to the same old. :rolleyes: