PDA

View Full Version : Etrac vs Sov

z118
05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Is the Etrac worth upgrading to over the Soveriegn I currently use?

Realistically, will the Etrac find things the Sov couldn't?

Angel, do you still own your Sov, and if so, what for?

There's an Etrac with a Sunray probe for sale on another forum for $1500. I'm pretty tempted, but $1500 is a lot of money for me right now.

Thoughts?

angellionel
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
In my opinion, yes, it is worth it. I own both, and have used each one for many hours. The E-Trac will definitely find what the GT can't. The GT does well with depth, but trashy and iron laden sites will give it fits.

The GT is great at the beach, so I'm keeping it for that reason, and as a backup, of course. ;)

z118
05-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks Angel. That's just what I needed to hear I guess.

Do you think $1,500 for the Etrac with the Sunray probe is a good price?

angellionel
05-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, seeing as it is a used E-Trac, for me that would depend on how long it has been used, the machine's condition, and how well the user has taken care of it. You know how it can be with used items. :-\ Personally, if I were on the market for an E-Trac, I would prefer to purchase a new one if I am going to be spending that kind of money, and avoid the nagging doubts. :huh:

z118
05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
How much is the Sunray probe and where/how do you have it installed?

angellionel
05-16-2010, 05:36 PM
How much is the Sunray probe and where/how do you have it installed?

I think it retails for about $179. You would have to send in the E-Trac's upper shaft to Sun Ray for installation, or you can have them install the probe onto a new upper shaft for an additional cost - $40, I think.

randy
05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Just a price point, I bought my e-trac (without sunray), used for $1000. Was in excellent condition.

z118
08-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Hmmm... now that I have the Etrac...

I should have scrutinized your statement a little closer Angel. You wrote: The E-Trac will definitely find what the GT can't. And I think that's the part that registered in my brain. I should have focused as much on the next sentence too I guess. The GT does well with depth, but trashy and iron laden sites will give it fits.

So, now that I have both, let me get some clarification. Do you think that at low trash sites with easy ground the Sov will get the same depth as the Etrac?

I ask because most of my sites are relatively low trash and have easy ground, meaning the Sov ran great with little or no falsing at sensitivity at 12 o'clock or higher. So with this in mind is it likely that the Etrac is going to find something the Sov missed?

angellionel
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Hmmm... now that I have the Etrac...

I should have scrutinized your statement a little closer Angel. You wrote: The E-Trac will definitely find what the GT can't. And I think that's the part that registered in my brain. I should have focused as much on the next sentence too I guess. The GT does well with depth, but trashy and iron laden sites will give it fits.

So, now that I have both, let me get some clarification. Do you think that at low trash sites with easy ground the Sov will get the same depth as the Etrac?

I ask because most of my sites are relatively low trash and have easy ground, meaning the Sov ran great with little or no falsing at sensitivity at 12 o'clock or higher. So with this in mind is it likely that the Etrac is going to find something the Sov missed?

No, I don't believe that the GT will attain the same depth as the E-Trac in that type of easy ground site. What I meant to emphasize by my previous comment is that the E-Trac would also do well at sites where the GT would be challenged, like those that are trashy and iron laden.

z118
08-28-2010, 05:20 AM
No, I don't believe that the GT will attain the same depth as the E-Trac in that type of easy ground site. What I meant to emphasize by my previous comment is that the E-Trac would also do well at sites where the GT would be challenged, like those that are trashy and iron laden.

Hmmm.... that is interesting. I was starting to doubt that the E-trac has better depth than the Sov in perfect conditions. But if you say it does... it does!

I am going to be very excited when (if) I pull some 8-10 target (that isn't a piece of iron) with the E-trac that I will know the Sov would have missed.

angellionel
08-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Hmmm.... that is interesting. I was starting to dount that the E-trac has better depth than the Sov in perfect conditions. But if you say it does... it does!

I am going to be very excited when (if) I pull some 8-10 target (that isn't a piece of iron) with the E-trac that I will know the Sov would have missed.

I wouldn't accept it based solely on what someone says. lol But yes, I have used both machines at the same sites, and with the E-Trac I have been able to reach deeper targets than I had been able to do with the GT. Of course, there is no such thing as 'perfect conditions' when working an actual site, as there will always be variables one has to deal with and compensate for, but even at sites where the GT would run smooth as silk I would give the edge to the E-Trac. By how much it is hard to say. That doesn't take anything away from the GT. It is an excellent coinshooting machine, and it's reputation for depth is well-deserved.