PDA

View Full Version : Doing The Fields

Bell-Two
11-17-2013, 08:22 PM
We have had a couple of decent days this week, went out to a new site on Friday to check out if we could find a home site in this huge field. After about an hour of searching I finally nailed down the primary site. We found a bunch of relics, buckles, axe heads, decorative pieces of copper or brass. I did find one coin an 1881 Indian Head. We went over into an adjacent field the farmer told us about and I found a shaving cream token and a wheat cent, along with some clad coins too. Saturday Doug and Malachi joined Diane and me to hunt this field. We scoured it for a couple of hours finding some relics and again I found the only coin an 1888 Indian Head. We decided to move on to another field that we had success in last year, I had noticed they had chiseled plowed in after cutting the corn so we had hopes that it would help bring up targets. We had been there about five minutes when I got a signal and looking down I could see a green disc in a clump, it turned out to be a semi-key date 1869 Indian. It is crusty but a real keeper. Diane got into the action with an 1880 Indian Head. Doug then got a 1910 Wheat cent and I quickly followed with a 1912 Wheat cent. Diane finished off the finds with another Indian an 1891. We moved on to another site again looking for a home site way out in a field. This field had a newer house, on a 1913 map which Diane and I hunted and turned up some buckles and artifacts. My goal was to find the old house that is on the 1875 map that was further out. We split up to maximize our search and Doug came across the site. We did not have much time but I got a couple of buttons, Diane got a button Doug found a piece of a button and a cabinet pull. So we definitely pinned the site down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZcbQtfAZo&feature=em-upload_owner

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-17-2013, 09:47 PM
nice that you located the homesites.very nice hunt everyone!

Lodge Scent
11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Sounds like you must have had a big pile of finds at the end of the day! Nice token.

The Rebel
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
WTG on finding the site. That's 1/2 the fun!

coinnut
11-18-2013, 12:37 PM
5 Indians including that '69 is a good haul. Plus tokens are always fun to find and really tell more history that coins can sometimes.

Thiltzy
11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Great token. Just love how it tells a story

OxShoeDrew
11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Boy oh boy, I read on another thread how you are starting to hate cleaning indians, I'm with you, the edges always chip, detail goes away...:bangahead02:
The date looks nice and clear on that '69 though. Congrats!

Digger Don
11-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Good things come to those who do their homework.
those old maps are treasures themselves

Tony Two-Cent
11-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice going, Tony! It looks like you are scoping out some sites that have potential!

That 1869 Indian Head is a great find! Huge congrats on that one!

:perfect10: