PDA

View Full Version : Cellar hole hunt on private property / Pre-Civil War Militia Plate

Thiltzy
11-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Today I was able to secure permission to hunt on two sets of private property with over 800 acres undisturbed land. There are a number of cellar holes waiting for me to explore them. Today I took Dave with me to meet up with my friend Tom, he is responsible for introducing me to the land owners. The owners were as nice as one could possibly be and welcomed us with open arms. I can go back there as often as I like and today we hunted just one hole.

The land is colonial and mostly undisturbed in fact, there is still a standing home dated 1739 on these properties. They already said that we can hunt that also:daydream:. It doesn't get much better than this:loveit::happydance01:

The owner took us to the 1st site about a mile into the woods. Dave immediately got the large cent and so we were off to the races. About a minute later I got my 1st target, an eagle button with back mark scoville. Next was my 1st Eagle Militia Plate then a one piece Artillery eagle button and then a Flying Eagle cent 1857. Eagles were the theme of the day for me.:yes: It's close to bed time for me so I will just let the pictures do the talking. I didn't clean much but will get to that another day. I want to be very careful cleaning the eagle militia plate and take as much time as I need.

Can't wait to get back there next weekend:daydream::daydream::daydream:

coinnut
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Ummm WOW :shocked03: That's all I have to say:lol:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-17-2013, 11:07 PM
awesome hunt Todd! gorgeous relics came out today.and you were on fire! congrats on your 1st militia plate and 1st one piece eagle "A" button!

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Ummm WOW :shocked03: That's all I have to say:lol:
you should be the new spokesman for the SHAM-WOW infomercial

del
11-18-2013, 03:33 AM
:shocked03:thats a beauty of a plate Todd :loveit::loveit: :perfect10: what an "eagle-tastic" day my friend :clapping::clapping:

OxShoeDrew
11-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Unreal! You're going to be there for quite some time. Two flying eagles! Hey Todd, what's the thing on the right of the second to last pic? I have one of those in my unidentified box. Nice job securing the site and producing the saves. :clapping:

chief5709
11-18-2013, 05:34 AM
:notworthy: definitely the home of a civil war vet. Incredible day and more to look forward to!

del
11-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Todd according to my military plate book yours is a 1845-1860 Militia waist belt plate , a gilt die-struck rolled brass plate with applied brass tongue. belt loop bar and iron keepers. this was purchased privately by military personel and others beginning in the mid 1840's. plate # 409 on page 259 of the American military belt plates .

huge congrats again on a very very nice shaped example of that type

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Unreal! You're going to be there for quite some time. Two flying eagles! Hey Todd, what's the thing on the right of the second to last pic? I have one of those in my unidentified box. Nice job securing the site and producing the saves. :clapping:
i think some kind of finial Drew.the thing just to the left of it is a old ram rod pipe

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Todd If we get back there you should re-check the hole where the plate came out.the tongue & bar still may be in the hole somewhere

Lodge Scent
11-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Eagles galore! Great hunt !

Bell-Two
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Man that is a crazy good hunt. All the Eagle items, there is a real story waiting to be written there. Did you get video of your hunt? :thumbsup01:

The Rebel
11-18-2013, 10:03 AM
HOLY FRIJOLIES Todd! WTG on an EPIC Hunt.

You should find out who the person that lived there was and then search here: http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm

Keep me posted! Would love to know their service record.

Thiltzy
11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
HEAVYMETALNUT
awesome hunt Todd! gorgeous relics came out today.and you were on fire! congrats on your 1st militia plate and 1st one piece eagle "A" button!
Thanks Dave, finally an eagle plate off the bucket list

del
Todd according to my military plate book yours is a 1845-1860 Militia waist belt plate , a gilt die-struck rolled brass plate with applied brass tongue. belt loop bar and iron keepers. this was purchased privately by military personel and others beginning in the mid 1840's. plate # 409 on page 259 of the American military belt plates .

huge congrats again on a very very nice shaped example of that type
Thanks for looking it up Dan, some great info:thumbsup01: Dan , what do you make of the gritty rust color material on the arrows? I am not sure how I should go about removing that.

Bell-Two
Man that is a crazy good hunt. All the Eagle items, there is a real story waiting to be written there. Did you get video of your hunt? :thumbsup01:
I did get it on Video but I did not record it prior to digging the hole. I was not expecting such a good relic. Even though it sounded good on the machine, I knew it was a bigger target.

The Rebel
HOLY FRIJOLIES Todd! WTG on an EPIC Hunt.

You should find out who the person that lived there was and then search here: http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm (http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm)

Keep me posted! Would love to know their service record.
Thanks Roger and thanks for the link

del
11-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for looking it up Dan, some great info:thumbsup01: Dan , what do you make of the gritty rust color material on the arrows? I am not sure how I should go about removing that.

Todd it it were me , i wouldn't use any chemical to alter the natural patina the plate already has , its very nicely toned now . I might however use some toothpicks to loosen the rust grit from the detail of the arrows clutch though. take your time you have all winter to get it done ;)

coinnut
11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Todd it it were me , i wouldn't use any chemical to alter the natural patina the plate already has , its very nicely toned now . I might however use some toothpicks to loosen the rust grit from the detail of the arrows clutch though. take your time you have all winter to get it done ;)

I agree. Go through a box of toothpicks if you have to.:lol: You don't want to alter the color in that area. You could remove that rust easily with chemicals, but you would be replacing the rust with a discolored surface. Either one detracts from the overall appearance of the belt plate. Little steps in tooth picking the rust and viewing the results. Small increments and a lot of second looks.:yes:

coinhunter
11-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Great hunting site and some great finds

Tony Two-Cent
11-21-2013, 09:39 AM
This hunt is beyond amazing, Todd! :notworthy:

Wow, I can't even imagine finding so many INCREDIBLE relics and coins! :shocked04: :envious:

That militia plate is mind blowing! :wow:

Eagle plate, eagle buttons, and Flying Eagle Cents! Jaw dropping hunt!

:perfect10: