PDA

View Full Version : xp deus

budkingjason
11-18-2013, 11:44 PM
i have purchased the xp deus and as work always seems to get in the way i have only had it out one time but have some free time coming up, been reading the manual and watching videos on youtube, several of those videos have had big boys hobbies in the video. any advice for a begginer on the deus?

coinnut
11-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't have the XP, but reading the manual is a good first step. If the machine has preset programs in it, I would recommend loading the program to match the type of detecting you prefer (coins, relic, beach). Usually the preset programs are stable and will be enough for you to get used to your new machine. Don't be shy, dig a lot of holes so you can learn what the machine is telling you....just remember to dig very neat holes.

del
11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
one of our very own Moderators uses the deus maybe ha can chime in and give you a couple of pointers .

Fire Fighter 43
11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
The Deus likes iron especially in the shape of a coin, i. e. Rusty bottle caps, so whatever program you settle into make an exact copy of it changing only the frequency to 4Khz. Store this copy next to your main program. When you come across a good signal switch over to the 4 KHz and check the target. If it is a high conductor the VID number will drop if it stays the same or goes higher it is iron. Remember the ID numbers are different between frequency so you need to activate ID normalize or keep this in mind when switching to 4 kHz. I prefer not to use ID Normalize. Also the deeper the target the less reliable the VID. The Deus will not even give a VID on some of the deeper targets so this method will not work for IDing iron.

After testing and field use I think the deepest preset program is Relic which has very little discrimination. If using little discrimination remember you will need to rely on tones to help ID a target.

My settings are as follows. I started with the relic program, this is an 8khz program, and change the following. You can use whatever tones you want, I prefer 5 tones. This way I can set a high tone notch for nickels. Remember if you are not using ID normalize set-up your tones to match the frequency. I set sensitivity as high as the area will allow but try not to go below 85. You should not need TX power higher than 2. Reactivity 0-2 depending on how trashy the site is, higher for more trash or just swing the coil slower to help separate targets. Remember that even at 0 the Deus's reactivity is equal to if not faster than most high end detectors. Silencer -1 or if too unstable raise to whatever level you prefer, just remember higher silencer settings equals reduced depth. Audio response 5, this helps with hearing the weaker signals. The last thing I do is ground balance with pumping and set manual GB to 2-3 notches below the recommended. These settings are what work for me and are somewhat similar to how I have my other detector set-up. I like to use very little disc so I can hear all the targets and rely on the tones to let me know if they are conductive or not.

Big Boys Hobbies
11-21-2013, 12:08 PM
I really like basic 1 to start out on and learn. Fire fighter gave some great advice as well!

Holler if you have ay questions on it. We offer lifetime support on the detectors we sell! ;)

Lots of good videos on our XP DEUS (http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/xp-deus-metal-detector) page as well!

SilverDon
02-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Hey Firefighter! Thank you for the setting tips! I just got my Deus a couple weeks ago and have read through Andy's book twice and the Deus user manual twice. I am on my 3rd reading of Andy's book.

I'm waiting for my Chefphone to come from Detecting The Past. It's 2 ½ weeks since Danny told me they were shipped.

I'm also on the list for an 11" coil. I heard there would be a shipment coming in Mid-March. The ground is so frozen here I probably won't be able to dig anything until June anyway. LOL!

SilverDon
02-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Hey Del --- Really Nice Chain Cent Avatar! I've been "digging" in areas that are old enough to find these. I've dug 4 1787 Connecticut Coppers, 6 George III from 1773 - 1775, 2 1700s Draped Bust Cents and a 1790 ½ Reale. I would love to see one of those come out of the ground! I'm in the right spots.

giant056
02-09-2014, 06:54 AM
If I was going to buy a foreign made metal detector it would be the Deus :)