PDA

View Full Version : A cold day MDing is better than a warm day in the office!

milco
11-20-2013, 08:28 AM
My friend (gameoftag, fmdf) and I scheduled a day long outing to some field home sites. He had some that he had found and secured permission on recently, so we planned a day a couple of weeks ago. Little did we know on Monday it was going to be 30 degrees, cloudy and 35mph winds all day long. I knew it was going to be cold, but I dressed for the occassion and even still it was pretty brutal. We had a good time, had a great day. We hit three bean fields, scoped out another site in some corn for next year and called it a day at a local watering hole over a burger and beer. Gameoftag found two IH's (1866 & 1892) and some other items, and these are my finds.

chief5709
11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Nice hunt!

When you say field home sites, do you mean the house is long gone and its just a field now? It looks that way from the glass shards found.

aloldstuff
11-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I would love to hunt a new field that once had a house on it. Any idea what the round item with the hole in it is. I think I can see a design.....

Digger Don
11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I just found one about 50 miles from my house. 2 schools in the same town. They were there in 1879 and in 1929. But in 1959 they were gone. both their locations are now farm fields.
This will be my first researched hunt. Can't wait to hunt it

del
11-20-2013, 02:38 PM
from the items found i'd say you have a very nice area to explore and i'm sure theres coins scattered about

The Rebel
11-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Looks like a cool spot. That looks like a LC with a nail hole in it.

Fire Fighter 43
11-20-2013, 05:00 PM
WTG Darren nice bunch of relics. I hit a field yesterday on a hunch it might have been a church site long ago, no luck. The first 1.5 inches was already frozen so it is Almost time to end the season here in WI and dig into the research books.

OxShoeDrew
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Some nice items there. That centenary piece is very cool....I agree with Todd, that looks like a LC with a hole nailed in. Nice finds!

milco
11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Some nice items there. That centenary piece is very cool....I agree with Todd, that looks like a LC with a hole nailed in. Nice finds!

I think it is a coin as well, otherwise why would someone take the time to hole it? There is a numeral on it I think I see, can you see it? Definitely not a LC, way too small and thin, but I suspect it may be a foreign coin. Still researching the ethnicity of the settlers in this area in the 1850-60's and will try to compare the coinage to see if I can match it up.

Lodge Scent
11-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Looks like a very promising site!

coinnut
11-20-2013, 09:01 PM
One possibility for that holed coin is a Nova Constellatio Copper (technically a token I think). The picture on the left would be the side with the eye and rays. Just a possibility.

Ill Digger
11-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Good to see your still able to get for a little hunting before it freezes outside. :frozen:

I think it is a coin as well, otherwise why would someone take the time to hole it? There is a numeral on it I think I see, can you see it? Definitely not a LC, way too small and thin, but I suspect it may be a foreign coin. Still researching the ethnicity of the settlers in this area in the 1850-60's and will try to compare the coinage to see if I can match it up.

I wonder if maybe its a half cent? :dontknow: I won't know what one looks like .... I've never found one before. :lol: ........ :crying02: