PDA

View Full Version : Back to my favorite woods in Battle Creek

giant056
11-21-2013, 06:04 AM
I didn't find any silver on this trip but I definitely found some neat keepers

This coin here is definitely a first for me, it's one of Hitlers coins, it's made of zinc and I was surprised that it held up as well as it did but as you can tell by the v nickel the soil is very forgiving in this woods

This is one of the best looking v nickels that I've dug in a while, I was hoping for a mintmark but no dice.

I found a complete toy gun but it's very corroded, quartz watch, old WW1 rifle shell and my favorite in this photo is the full brass shot gun shell. I think I've only found 4 of the full brass shot gun shells like this

I always like checking out the headstamp on the old brass

I did pretty good in the old coin department, nothing super old but the coins that I do pull out of this woods are almost always pretty much corrosion free except for the zinc coins. I found a round ball and some other shells also

I wish that the 1885 that I found a few years back was in this good of shape but them are the breaks when it comes to the older nickels from the dirt.

This old coin sure did catch me off guard cause I've never dug a German coin with a swastika on it. I had the composition of the coin figured out before I even looked it up, its zinc.

milco
11-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Some real nice finds, there. Looks like you have a real nice spot in the woods!

Longhair
11-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Nice finds!
You must be hunting near one of the old POW camp sites

Tony Two-Cent
11-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Great bunch of finds! Those woods sure are kind to old coins. The wheat cents from there look wonderful, and that's one of the nicer V Nickels I've seen dug.

:congrats:

pulltabsteve
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Sweet stuff Larry! Those Battle Creek woods have been turning up cool finds for a long time. The "V" is in great shape!

Digger Don
11-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Very nice finds.
I hope that spot keeps giving for you