PDA

View Full Version : Cold - Rainy hunt with Del

coinnut
11-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Man it gets cold when you are soaked.:badday:Dan and I figured it may be our last hunt because the weather is starting to turn cold now. We went back to the site that gave Dan his rare CT copper. We split up and I decided to start far away from the hole and work through the mountain laurel. Bad move. :lol: Got one flat button and got soaked, as every tree and bush would drop water on you. Finally ended up by the hole but ventured off in the other direction for some more fun crawling between the laurel. Man I hate that shrub:disgusted: Ended up getting a nice Large Cent and 2 tombac buttons. Must be some better quality buttons, as one is paper thin, but solid. The other has a rim on the reverse that I rarely see on tombacs. Also got a rock that read 12-01 on the 3030. Usually only aluminum foil reads that. If anyone knows what kind of rock this is please let me know. A good short hunt. I was happy to get into a warm truck :thumbsup01:

del
11-22-2013, 05:10 PM
hey copper man , who's idea was it to freeze out in the cold rain anyways :badday:i haven't had underwear that wet since .... well you get the idea :lol::rofl:

congrats on a very decent looking large cent George :smitten:is the rock a bit "light " for its size?? its probably natural graphite , type of lead this part of the state has an abundance of that stuff.

was there any design on you shield mount item ??

OxShoeDrew
11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
I bet it was a pleasure cleaning that copper. Turned out beautifully. :shocked02:
Suggest we name some other plant our state flower? :)

coinnut
11-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Suggest we name some other plant our state flower? :)
Or just rename the flower you already have. I had some good names for it today:lol:

Bell-Two
11-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Yep it is no fun in the rain, we were forecast for rain all day and it kept coming and going and whenever I thought yeah I can get out it would start again. Supposed to be real cold this weekend too. Good hunt it is nice you were rewarded for your tenacity...nice Tombac very unusual!

coinnut
11-22-2013, 05:41 PM
is the rock a bit "light " for its size?? its probably natural graphite , type of lead this part of the state has an abundance of that stuff.

was there any design on you shield mount item ??

The rock is normal weight, but that may be due to the iron content? I'm assuming the rust embedded is a form of iron ore. The shield may have the design you are thinking of. I'm cleaning it now :rolleyes:

del
11-22-2013, 06:10 PM
yup it looks like the Welsh design (three plumes in a crown) that are on many

Digger Don
11-22-2013, 07:01 PM
That Large cent cleaned up Great.

Very Nice

pulltabsteve
11-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Awesome pulltab in the first picture!!!:congrats: Great looking Large Cent George:clapping:. Wet and cold always is a miserable combination.

Lodge Scent
11-22-2013, 10:30 PM
That stone does have a graphite look too it. Graphite is soft. If it is graphite you should be able to make a line on a paper with it. A small round thick piece of graphite can look pretty good to a metal detector. Man, that LC did clean up nicely!

The Rebel
11-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Nice finds. I hate to be out in the rain. I keep an emergency poncho in my backpack which has come in handy a few times.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
nice wet hunt! was it worse than when you,mikey & me went that time?:hystericallaugh: cool prince of wales crested saddle shield and a nice largie.i have only dug a few of those rimmed tombacs.how did Dan do?

milco
11-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Yup, the weather is getting cold and crazy! Get out while you can, WTG!

Tony Two-Cent
11-25-2013, 10:48 AM
That 1845 large cent cleaned up really well! :yes:

Lots of detail on it! Nice!

:congrats: