PDA

View Full Version : to clean or not to clean...that is thee question

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
this stuff on the GW button is buggin the crap outta me.i figured I'd spray it with hair spray as not to lose any of the detail clinging on.
My question is should i just say the heck with it and put the brush to it to get rid of the crust in the hopes that the incused stamping of original design is under it and somewhat improve the overall appearance of the button?
fire away with your thoughts please3546235463

Lodge Scent
11-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Hmmmmm........Dave if this was your ONLY GW I would admonish you to leave it alone. But seeing this is like your 48th GW button :envious:, I would say have at it. Of course if it was mine I would be afraid to clean it.

Tony Two-Cent
11-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Tough call. I'm sure that if it were the only one you had ever found you would probably leave it as is. Since you have found ten of them I can understand your temptation to improve the appearance of this one.

I think you will probably lose some detail if you get rid of the crust. However, it may end up looking better overall. At least you have some good photos of it in its current state.

In the end I think you will have to ask yourself, would I rather have it in its current state, or take the risk of losing all the detail?

If it were mine I would leave it as is, but then I haven't found ten of them. :grin:

del
11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Hmmmmm........Dave if this was your ONLY GW I would admonish you to leave it alone. But seeing this is like your 48th GW button :envious:, I would say have at it. Of course if it was mine I would be afraid to clean it.

:lol::lol: yeah whats the worse that could happen ... you end up with only 9 GW buttons left :lolsign:

del
11-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Dave even if it was my only one i'd remove the crusty crud at least , then i'd think about a very light brushing with a stiff bristle brush and if i wasn't happy with that i'd move onto a soft brass brush.

a regular alcohol dip will remove the glue from the hairspray

OxShoeDrew
11-26-2013, 05:25 PM
I think you might lose the arrows on the right with more cleaning. But, I'm usually wrong in such calls.

coinnut
11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
it's gonna look bad either way :lol: If it were mine I would clean it.

The Rebel
11-26-2013, 07:38 PM
By looking at it Dave, if you clean it I think any detail you have will be removed. I'd leave it as is.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-26-2013, 08:28 PM
i'm torn lol

coinnut
11-26-2013, 08:32 PM
You definitely will lose details cleaning it. But if you wreck it PM me :lol:

milco
11-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Usually on these types of cleaning questions you end up in about the same spot you started, but at least you feel like you did something to try and make it better. Your call, but I say give it a go, you don't have much to lose on that one.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Hey I may go for it.lookin back at my 2nd GW same variety it was in rough shape as well and i think it looks way better after the hot peroxide and scrubbing.here's what that one looked like before & after

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-26-2013, 11:16 PM
ok i'm done playing with it.just gonna leave it alone.can't get much more done to it without losing everything

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-26-2013, 11:24 PM
but,then again if i put the brass brush to it which i didn't do :cheesysmile:

coinnut
11-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Don't do it:lol: You have the letters and date readable. That is as far as I would go with it.

chief5709
11-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Stop!!!! :shocked03: It is what it is just accept it and go out and find another one or two or three... :notworthy: