PDA

View Full Version : Turkey day hunt gets me a 1853 Large Cent!

Full Metal Digger
11-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey Diggers,

Today I went MDing at an old park I found on Google Maps over in St. Louis. It's surrounded on all four sides by houses built about the time of the Civil War. I could tell this park has been POUNDED by other MDers for years now. I actually saw someone else's plugs as I worked around the park for 4 hours. TONS of trash down to about 4 inches. I really had to go slow to find good signals. It took about an hour and a half just to find a target deeper than 6 inches! Turned out to be a 1928 wheat penny!

About 30 minutes after that I got a squeaky/iron falsing/maybe a coin/junk signal at 9 to 10 inches deep. I decided to dig it with little hope it would be anything good. I scooped out about 6 inches of dirt and put my X1 probe in the hole and got a big iron signal but then a slight squeak! Dug out 3 more inches and now my X1 probe is screaming 12-48!!!!!! I'm thinking BIG silver at this point. One more turn of the digger and out pops a big black disk. Hmmm, not silver I think...then I see the words ONE CENT and realize I am looking at a large cent! :clapping:

It never even entered my head that I might find a large cent in this park. I was hoping for a silver dime that everyone else had miraculously missed over the years. I decided to work the area real slow! About 30 feet away I got a scratchy wheat penny signal at 7 to 8 inches deep. Out pops a silver dime! I'm thinking barber? seated? Nope a 1958 Rosie! That's okay, I'll take that too! :yes:

A little later I got a strong penny/dime signal right at 6 inches. I was skipping all the shallow memorial and zinc signals but this one was borderline good-deep so I dug it. I was surprised to see a sterling religious medallion come out. I ended the day with several good finds. Not bad for a hammered park. I plan to go back this weekend and work it some more. Thanks for looking and HH! Dave.

coinnut
11-28-2013, 09:24 PM
That was a great hunt. Nice Large cent, and what possessed that Roosie to be that deep :lol: I would have thought at least a Merc or Barber too. But silver and a large copper are a great start on a pounded park!

wisconsin digger
11-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Nice way to work off some Turkey. Great finds. Wisconsin Digger

Timewarpdigger
11-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Nice finds. Your hunt was a lot like the hunts I had since I started MDing, finding great finds where I would least expect to find them. Congrats.

del
11-28-2013, 10:27 PM
congrats Dave , a large cent and silver is a great combination and a super hunt in my opinion:perfect10:

Digger Don
11-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Congrats on your Holiday hunt.
What a great assortment of finds
happy Thanksgiving & HH

aloldstuff
11-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Very nice recoveries, especially from a very well worked over park. Your skills were showing. :congrats:on your LC and that rosie.

milco
11-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Congrats on the LC! The persistance paid off!

KennyD
11-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Very nice finds!:congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
11-29-2013, 08:04 PM
I've got to hand it to you, Dave. You sure have a knack for finding those large cents! I've yet to find one with my E-Trac and you have found several. You do such a good job of finding those older sites.

Very nice silver religious medal too.

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
11-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I've got to hand it to you, Dave. You sure have a knack for finding those large cents! I've yet to find one with my E-Trac and you have found several. You do such a good job of finding those older sites.

Very nice silver religious medal too.

Thanks Tony, I appreciate your kind words. I did some research today and found out that park was created in 1812. I'm trying to think of a way to get a bull dozer in there and scrape off 8 inches of topsoil!! BOOM BABY!

JdsCoins
11-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Sweet finds Dave! Love the largie! You didn't tell me you got silver with the hunt too. What a great hunt for a place a lot of people probably wrote off their list as a dud. :grin:

Fire Fighter 43
11-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Congrats on the. Large cent. Dave, WTG.

giant056
12-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Awesome score on the old Large cent and silvers :thumbsup01: My only U.S. large this year is an 1853 and I found it in January in a scrubby woods infested with locust trees.