PDA

View Full Version : My first shield nickel + 3 silver hunt today! =)

JdsCoins
11-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Hey everyone! Been a little while since I've commented or posted. It's great looking through all the finds everyone is making this fall! I didn't detect for 2 weeks in early November and had a lot to do in October since I moved almost 2 hours away from where I used to be. I've been struggling lately when I have gotten out, but finally got some goodies!

I'm just happy here in eastern TN that the ground Isn't frozen and I can still get out. :)

Yesterday I was hunting a spot specifically looking for newer silver. It was a very clean area so the nickels were easy to distinguish and I was digging them all. So I get a solid nickel signal 3 inches down, and It's a shield :shocked04:

My first ever, the front is really rough, but It's 1869! :happy:

It pre dates all the development for where I was searching by about 50 years. Just goes to show you never know what you can find. :grin:

I got out today around an old school that was built in the late 40's. Found a nice, little 8x8 yard patch that had a lot of coins dropped most likely in the sixties. (All between 4-7 inches down in thick soil) A 1964-D quarter, 1966 dime, 1963-D dime, 1953-D dime, 1962-D penny, 1963-D penny & 1964-D penny. Thankfully 3 of those are silver. ;)

Happy Hunting! :detecting:

Timewarpdigger
11-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Great finds, once you become acclimated to your new area you will be just as successful. Tenn has a lot of great history looking to be found. HH

del
11-30-2013, 05:45 PM
hey huge congrats on the shield nickle :smitten: and silver JdsCoins :thumbsup02:

Full Metal Digger
11-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Great finds and congrats on your first shield nickel. I always enjoy watching your videos and was very pleased to see you pull that nickel out of the ground. I soaked my shield nickel in worchester sauce for a couple hours and then lightly brushed it with a brass bristle brush. It got rid of some the corrosion in the low spots and brought a little more detail out on the coin. Best wishes and hh, Dave.

Digger Don
11-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Congrats on your first shield nickle and some nice silver

coinnut
11-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Shield nickels are always a surprise when I find them. Congrats on your first one. :happydance01: You would think they would be down deep, but that is not always the case. Scoring some silver is never a bad thing either.:lol:

Tony Two-Cent
11-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Congrats on your first Shield Nickel, JD! That's awesome! :thumbsup02:

I found my first one last year and I remember how thrilled I was! Shield Nickels don't turn up very often and they are a neat coin to find.

You are becoming a very accomplished detectorist. Kudos on finding a coin from your bucket list!

:congrats:

Fire Fighter 43
11-30-2013, 08:06 PM
A big congrats on your first Sheild 5 and a nice hunt! WTG.

giant056
12-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Fantastic hunt you had there, congrats on your first shield nickel and some nice silvers :thumbsup02:

:congrats:

wisconsin digger
12-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice find. My Dad (in the 70's) found a Large Cent in a park started in the 30's. We thought it was lost many years earlier by a hunter or settler. Great find. Your scaring me talking about frost in Tennessee as I was hoping to plan a trip in Feb-Mar to the Nashville area. Is it only wishful thinking that the ground would be frost free?? Wisconsin Digger

Ronandari
12-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Very nice finds. I think that you are fortunate to hunt in Tennessee. Every time that I drive through there I always daydream about hunting. The countryside is quite lovely. :congrats:

aloldstuff
12-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Nice that you finally got your 1st Shield and its got a date. Sprinkle in some silvers and you've got a great hunt. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
12-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I found my only shield this past summer. I thought for sure I was digging a shot gun shell or worse. They are a scarce commodity. Add on all that silver and you had a super day, congrats!

skribnodsister
12-01-2013, 07:12 PM
:congrats: on finding your first Shield Nickel, and congrats on finding Silver...:groovy:

JdsCoins
12-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice find. My Dad (in the 70's) found a Large Cent in a park started in the 30's. We thought it was lost many years earlier by a hunter or settler. Great find. Your scaring me talking about frost in Tennessee as I was hoping to plan a trip in Feb-Mar to the Nashville area. Is it only wishful thinking that the ground would be frost free?? Wisconsin Digger

Thanks! And don't worry about the frost. It's all gone by the time the sun comes out, and there's just tiny bits of snow in areas that are hidden from the sun. :) But the hunting here right now is PERFECT with all the rain we got. This year has been incredibly dry at times.

milco
12-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Nice finds, congrats on the shield nickel #1!