PDA

View Full Version : First silver ever 1907-O Barber dime

Digger Don
11-30-2013, 07:11 PM
The weather was great today compared to this past week so I went out with my son and hit a couple of spots.
First we hit an old church. The ground wasn't to frozen. Started out with a cool token from the "White Coffee Pot" no date but it looks pretty old.
Then my son pulls out 5 clad quarters out of one hole. He was happy and I was proud. then after a couple of pennies and a bunch of junk we decided to go to a site I found on historical aerial maps.

There was an old school house there from the 1850s to the 1920s. Today it's a farm field. After we hunted down the owner and got permission, IT HAPPENED, 1" under the frozen ground. Our first silver a 1907-O Barber Dime. Bad news is we got several more very nice signals but the ground was frozen SOLID. We'll be back.

I would also like to say, If I hadn't joined this Forum, I never would have thought of searching maps and aerial photos for old sites to hunt. So thanks everyone and Happy Hunting

sfox54
11-30-2013, 07:16 PM
fantastic! i shared that first silver feelings last month! but mine was a merc. beter yet is you can share it with your boy..that parts priceless

coinnut
11-30-2013, 07:31 PM
That Barber is in decent shape too :clapping:Congrats on your first SILVER coin. It needs a special frame :yes: I bet you do a lot of research this winter :lol: I'm glad the advice someone gave you worked out well. That spot is going to give you many firsts. I couldn't wait if it was me. I would use a very sharp, large shovel and dig BIG plugs in that field ;)

del
11-30-2013, 07:31 PM
:cheering:WOOO-HOOOO:cheering:

congrats on your first silver and Barber Don :clapping::clapping:

Digger Don
11-30-2013, 07:32 PM
That's a fact, the look on his face made my day
Thanks everyone

Timewarpdigger
11-30-2013, 07:32 PM
A great day and even better that you were with your son. My first silver find was a Barber dime as well, a 1908. Congrats to you and HH!!

Full Metal Digger
11-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Excellent finds! One of my favorite places to hunt is cornfields where old schools once stood. That 1907-O is a good date to have and is worth $30+ in F12 condition. That token is great because it mentions BIG JUICY HAMBURGER! Pure Americana! Best wishes and let us know what else you get out of that field when it thaws. Dave.

Fire Fighter 43
11-30-2013, 08:04 PM
:clapping::congrats: WTG on your first silver and it is a Barber! I love hunting those old one room school sites that are now fields. You do not find a ton of stuff but when you do it is almost always some thing good. Make sure to keep that site on your list for a few more hunts after the thaw. Also remember that as fields get plowed new things return to the surface. So do not give up on it until a few crop rotations. Good luck on the return.

Tony Two-Cent
11-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey hey, now we're talkin'! :groovy:

Congrats on your first silver coin, Don! And it's a Barber too! That's awesome! That had to be a great thrill for you and your son.

I really like the token too, that's a really cool find! :yes:

There's a good chance that that farm field will pay further dividends for you when it thaws. Good job on doing some great research to find that site.

:congrats:

zrickkid
11-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Way to go Don!

giant056
12-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Awesome score on your first silver Don :thumbsup01: and an old barber at that!! Those old long forgotten farmstead's can really hold some nice treasure's.

:congrats:

Digger Don
12-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and support.
I've only been doing this for about 5 months and it seems like every month is a little better than the last.
It seems like I learn more about my machine and the hobby every time I go out.
A couple of more years I might actually get good at this.:lol:
Don

wisconsin digger
12-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Excellent find. I feel some of your pain but mine was in spring with anticipation of the thaw. You have a lot to look forward to as a result of some good research. Nice coin spill as well. Wisconsin Digger

aloldstuff
12-01-2013, 01:45 PM
1st silver and its a Barber....:perfect10:. As mentioned earlier you should frame it. 1850 - 1920 site might produce a seated and I hope you and your son recover one, or two.

Skamaniac
12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Nice dime there. I also really like the token. Combines my two favorite things; metal detecting and coffee!

skribnodsister
12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
:congrats: on your first Silver Don! That's a pretty cool token also!:thumbsup02: Tell your son Congrats on that coin spill.. that's pretty awesome to find five coins in one hole!:happy:

Digger Don
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
:congrats: on your first Silver Don! That's a pretty cool token also!:thumbsup02: Tell your son Congrats on that coin spill.. that's pretty awesome to find five coins in one hole!:happy:Thanks, I will. He was really excited when he found them

OxShoeDrew
12-08-2013, 03:28 PM
First silver....with son...priceless! My first silver wasn't as exciting. End of a long hunt, I dug a rosy that is younger than I am. :grin: Your's is sweet....AND a really nice token. I'm happy for you!

KCFindIt
12-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Some really cool finds. I don't know if I could endure the long winter wait. I think I'd have to do like coinnut said and take a bigger shovel now!