PDA

View Full Version : Solo Black Friday Hunt

coinnut
11-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Let's see, I can go shopping and get arrested or knifed, or go detecting:thinkingabout: OK detecting wins :lol: I wasn't feeling great, so I didn't want to take a chance at being too far from home and go hunting with Dan and the gang. Dan has always said that the weak link gets sacrificed in the woods :shocked04: I decided to just get in a couple of hours close to home. Hit some cellar holes just up the road, but wanted to venture way out into "boringville". That is the area around old cellar holes that is so far from the hole, that even the original inhabitants didn't go there ;) It is very quiet and most times you only get lead slugs or shotgun shells. I found lots of those, but did find some dumping areas that most of these targets came from. A few keepers including a scythe, measuring compass, my second, in the middle of nowhere, modern store token (I'll get you Big Y:ticked:), a colonial toe tap, an old furniture escutcheon plate, etc... Did get a nice little object that at first looked like a game piece. It did not test as silver but looks plated over another low conductor metal. It mostly looks ike tombac material. I'm now thinking it is a young boy's wax seal. It looks to have had a loop on the top that is missing. I wish I had thought to look through the dirt for a glass insert. That is what I think it is so far. Nice to get out even if it wasn't an all day hunt.

del
11-30-2013, 08:58 PM
yeah we missed you friday and in your weakened state you would of been the obvious logical choice to sacrifice to the hunters :rofl:

you keep finding those big Y tokens in the oddest places :lol:, which reminds me i'm running kinda low on them ;) . yes the silver piece looks like a wax seal matrix , get back out there and start sifting some dirt , i'm sure the frost heaves pushed the stone out bet it was a fancy one at that. atleast you didn't go home empty handed .

Dan

Lodge Scent
11-30-2013, 09:02 PM
That little dog piece is very cool! I can see that as a wax seal easily. We could have used that scythe blade on our hunt when the creepy mute hunter gave Drew the bad eye ;). That compass in nice too!

OxShoeDrew
11-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Big Y used to have over-sized pink turkey tokens. Would be nice to find one before Thanksgiving.
I bet there was a second of thrill when you first saw that round shiny token in the hole....and then :hairpulling:
I hope you are feeling better and missed you the other day, Drew

fsa46
12-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Just goes to show, everything isn't close to the "hole". Hope you're feeling better George . I know you don't want to be :sick: with all the treasure yet to be found.:detecting:

tanacat
12-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Nice finds! Yeah, first thing I thought was Monopoly piece :lol:

Bell-Two
12-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Nice stuff, I am glad you could get out...finding a few keepers is always good medicine!

coinnut
12-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone. For the short amount of time I spent out there, I'm happy with the relics I got. Not being sacrificed to the hunter, is also a plus:thumbsup01: And I will definitely have a talk with the Big Y people about losing their tokens on colonial sites. :shame:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-01-2013, 07:10 PM
cool matrix seal! another Big Y token!:hystericallaugh: hope ya feel better soon!

coinnut
12-01-2013, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=HEAVYMETALNUT;151027]another Big Y token!:hystericallaugh: QUOTE]

It's not a Big Y token:girlcry: It's a Capped Bust Half!!!!!! It has a reeded edge :cheesysmile: Just like last time Dave.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-01-2013, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=HEAVYMETALNUT;151027]another Big Y token!:hystericallaugh: QUOTE]

It's not a Big Y token:girlcry: It's a Capped Bust Half!!!!!! It has a reeded edge :cheesysmile: Just like last time Dave.
oh yeah!( winks)

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-01-2013, 07:51 PM
maybe it was a womans matrix seal? why would a kid have one? maybe more petite for the lady of the house?

coinnut
12-01-2013, 09:31 PM
maybe it was a womans matrix seal? why would a kid have one? maybe more petite for the lady of the house?

If it is even a wax seal, I was thinking that maybe it was a young boys gift to sort of make him feel more grown up like dad. I'm not sure if women had wax seals back then? You never hear much about that, but it could be. I guess letters sent were sealed in wax, so I would think they would use their own seal. But it could also be more modern and be part of a kids play kit:lol:

milco
12-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice finds from "boringville"! I know that spot and go there often!