PDA

View Full Version : Now I Get It!

Skamaniac
12-07-2013, 10:41 PM
I've been hearing you folks from the midwest and back east talking about not metal detecting in the winter because of frozen ground. That was usually not a problem here. Chilly and wet, but not frozen cold.

Yeah. Never mind. Now I get it after the last week of freezing temperatures. Metal detecting on frozen ground sucks AND it drains a lot of energy. Swing the detector for three feet, drag the diesel compressor, drag the jackhammer, swing the metal detector three more feet, drag the diesel compressor, drag the jackhammer. No wonder you guys don't dig in the winter! I'm bushed!

del
12-07-2013, 11:00 PM
yes it takes a "special" :crazy: individual to detect all through out winter in the snow belt states .

Digger Don
12-07-2013, 11:41 PM
I was out today in 14 degree weather. The open areas were froze solid but the wooded areas weren't so bad. I found a few coins, a few relics and some junk. When I go out when it's this cold, my wife has a name for me. But it's not "special"

Longhair
12-08-2013, 12:14 AM
The frost is too deep here to bother detecting. You would need a cordless drill and some C-4 to make a hole.
It's 10°f here right now.

Boulder
12-14-2013, 12:18 AM
​Winter for me is a good time to sort threw finds, polish and organize them, research sites for the spring thaw over a good pipe a glass of wine and some good music.
It's not so bad, John. :interesting:

WBL TH
12-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Add the 8" of snow on the ground and its tuff going. There's always CRH to pass some of the time.

Greg

tanacat
12-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Also a good time to do research on old home sites at the library :)

Reading old newspapers give great insight to good hunting sites like swimming holes, picnic groves, community events...

When it's snowing (not frozen) or raining I choose isolated sites where people can't see how crazy addicted I am :lol: