PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Orange County NY

wswhiting
12-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Hello. Just got my AT Pro on Monday and starting this new hobby.

Tony Two-Cent
12-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

Glad you joined the forum! Lots of history there in your neck of the woods. :yes:

Best of luck with your AT Pro. We are looking forward to your participation on the forum! :thumbsup02:

Digger Don
12-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Welcome from Illinois,
I also swing the AT Pro, it's a good machine if used correctly.
Good Luck with your hunts. I'll be looking forward to your posts.
HH

wswhiting
12-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Yes, I'm starting to do some research on the area and getting leads. I can see there is so much more to this hobby than digging up spare change that the kids lost on the playground last week.

So far I have only been out once. My research turned up an old school site. The property the playground was on was kept by the city and turned into a small neighborhood park. It was really cold and the ground was frozen, but I decided to cut through the frost with an old hatchet (an idea I got off this forum!). That worked really well and it was easy digging one inch down. I didn't search the whole park but concentrated on the obvious areas by the swings and slides where I knew I would have a high probability of success albeit clad. My efforts turned up three Lincoln pennies. I won't post any pictures as you probably know what those look like. :hystericallaugh:My hands were too cold after 20 minutes so I took my treasure home.

OxShoeDrew
12-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you've got a good start. You get any funny looks with the hatchet in the park? :lol:
It's all over now as 10inches of snow is forcast...on top of the few inches we already have.:girlcry:
Well, enjoy the forum and good luck with your research. Welcome!

coinnut
12-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Welcome aboard from western MA. You are gonna love this hobby :happydance01: But the hatchet was meant for the woods :shocked05: :lol: Seriously, be careful to make sure you leave no trace of your digging. Many nice places to hunt are off limits now due to improper digging. This hobby is both addictive and educational. We all learn as we go and I'm still amazed at what is lost (and now found) by everyone. It's a great stress release....enjoy the hobby

Skamaniac
12-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Welcome from left of you a ways. It's a fun hobby. Garrett has some good starter videos for the AT Pro on their webpage if you havene't seen them yet.

Timewarpdigger
12-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Welcome to a great hobby and even better forum. The winter will slow you down a bit but it will give you time to not get to know your machine, but will also give you time for researches potential sites in the spring. Good luck and HH.

Boulder
12-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Hello and Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup01:
John in New Jersey.

wswhiting
12-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Sounds like you've got a good start. You get any funny looks with the hatchet in the park? :lol:
It's all over now as 10 inches of snow is forecast...on top of the few inches we already have.:girlcry:
Well, enjoy the forum and good luck with your research. Welcome!

No funny looks with the hatchet but then it only takes two swings to break the frost and then I can use my Lesche digging tool. I have done some reading on this hobby and I understand the importance of leaving the area just like I found it. This was only a kiddie park with wood chips, so the digging evidence was minimal to begin with. But like OxshoeDrew has said, it is snowing and I am probably done for awhile. Time to do some research.

del
12-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Hello wswhiting , welcome to the forum and to the addicting hobby of metal detecting :waving: . Congrats on your new machine , i hear good reviews about the at-pro and seems to be a very capable machine . hope your winter goes by quick so you can get back out there and wish you Happy Holidays .

Dan

KennyD
12-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Welcome aboard!

coinnut
12-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Time to do some research.

The research will pay big dividends in the spring. It also gets the blood pumping :lol: New places to hunt are always exciting. But trust your gut instincts too. The best finds are in the oddest places sometimes.

Epi-hunter
12-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forum! You are off to a great start! :thumbsup02:

giant056
12-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup01:

chief5709
12-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Welcome! I'm a few hours north of you in Saratoga County.

tanacat
12-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the club! Jackhammers work well in the winter too... :lol:

I go to sunny areas in the afternoon, that helps.

aloldstuff
12-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Welcome from western MA. You've got a great machine there, seen some great finds posted here from people using the AT Pro. Looking forward to your future posts and I hope your research works out for you.

leslie(nova scotia)
12-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Welcome aboard me bouy from Nova Scotia. best of the season to youz and da brood!

WBL TH
12-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Hello from Minnesota.

Fire Fighter 43
01-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the forum and hobby from SE Wisconsin. It is good to see you found us, happy hunting and good luck.