PDA

View Full Version : 2013 year in reverse*another incredible year

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
In 2013 most of my hunts were with Todd (Thiltzy).He himself has become quite a force to reckon with as a colonial cellar hole hunter.We both made quite a few amazing historical finds.The ones that stand out the most is digging 10 George Washington Inaugural buttons between the 2 of us this year.He dug 4 & I dug 6.
We had a few group hunts with Dan(Del) Dale (Elad) Jesse (sniffy)
Scott(Safari Scott) Frank(fast frank)John(Blaze) Roger( Rebel) Ray(Kray) & Gary(foundation hunter) but for the most part Todd & myself paired up for the majority of the year.
Didn't do quite as well as the 2 previous years in the large copper dept but 50 1/4 total satisfied me.
Other than the 6 GW's some nice relics surfaced.one of my faves was the baby pre civil war US oval belt plate,a early 1 piece militia button,CW buttons and a couple nice colonial shoe buckles.one of my fave coin finds was a beautiful uncut 1721 two reale pistareen,I dug my 2nd ever seated half dollar.
Was a unforgettable year gettin stung up by white faced hornets,seeing Todd the following week getting chased & stung by yellow jackets,encountering a bear in the trail.hundreds of mosquito bites,pulling ticks off us,hiking up mountains and losing a ton of sweat during 100 degree temps.crazy thing is..we'll do it all over again in 2014!
I hope you all have a merry Christmas,happy holidays and a safe new year!

giant056
12-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!! you had an awesome year indeed :thumbsup02:

........................ :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
12-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Dave, your detecting abilities are an inspiration to us all! I think most of us would kill to have a year like that, and you do it every year! I saw the thread over on FMDF titled "Top 10 Detectorist" and your name was on almost everyone's list, and rightfully so! So many incredibly rare relics and coins!

Congrats on the spectacular year! :notworthy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Dave, your detecting abilities are an inspiration to us all! I think most of us would kill to have a year like that, and you do it every year! I saw the thread over on FMDF titled "Top 10 Detectorist" and your name was on almost everyone's list, and rightfully so! So many incredibly rare relics and coins!

Congrats on the spectacular year! :notworthy:
thanks for the kind words tony.i never saw that list? what an honor.thanks again!

JdsCoins
12-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for sharing! Incredible finds you had this year. Good pics too. :grin:

del
12-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Dave , your throwing in the towel already :shocked04:?? you still have two good weekends of detecting left in the year;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Dave , your throwing in the towel already :shocked04:?? you still have two good weekends of detecting left in the year;)
well we got more snow coming tomorrow so..i'm just getting ahead of the game.my last post may be a couple shotgun shells and a pic of me on my butt in the snow coming down a mountain side

del
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
well we got more snow coming tomorrow so..i'm just getting ahead of the game.my last post may be a couple shotgun shells and a pic of me on my butt in the snow coming down a mountain side

yes this is true but this is "New England" and could be in the fifties by the weekend :lol: regardless Dave you had another incredible season and everyone of the items you posted would be a very welcomed addition to anybody's display case :smitten:. as for the pictures of you on your #$$ in the snow George and i will take a few of those in 8x10 glossy :lol:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 05:00 PM
yes this is true but this is "New England" and could be in the fifties by the weekend :lol: regardless Dave you had another incredible season and everyone of the items you posted would be a very welcomed addition to anybody's display case :smitten:. as for the pictures of you on your #$$ in the snow George and i will take a few of those in 8x10 glossy :lol:
thanks Dan! i hope it does warm up for the next 2 weekends.dying to get out!

Thiltzy
12-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Dave,
It certainly was another great year for you. I agree on the 1721 Pistareen. It was a thrill to see come out of the ground.
I think you had a great buckle year also, especially the silver ones.
Tuff to top a 5 GW day but heck!...always "expect the unexpected". Oh, by the way, sorry to eat into your copper count for the year;)
I had a blast hunting with you in 2013 and I am Looking forward to 2014. Also had a lot of fun doing the radio broadcast looking forward to our next one.:beerbuddy:

wisconsin digger
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM
That's an incredible set of finds. I hope to hit an area some day with that kind of potential. WOW Wisconsin digger

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Dave,
It certainly was another great year for you. I agree on the 1721 Pistareen. It was a thrill to see come out of the ground.
I think you had a great buckle year also, especially the silver ones.
Tuff to top a 5 GW day but heck!...always "expect the unexpected". Oh, by the way, sorry to eat into your copper count for the year;)
I had a blast hunting with you in 2013 and I am Looking forward to 2014. Also had a lot of fun doing the radio broadcast looking forward to our next one.:beerbuddy:
thanks Todd! I enjoyed every hunt we had.exciting to see you pull a lot of 1sts and scratch stuff off your bucket list.i don't mind you eating into my copper count.you deserved everyone of them and was ALMOST as exciting seeing you dig em while i held the camera. hope we can get another hunt in before the end of this year.sites are getting tougher and we will have to work a lot harder in 2014 for sure.can't wait to see your year end post Mr. 2013 Copper King! congrats man!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 06:34 PM
I don't think I hunted with the hippie this year? George? miss you man!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
thank you JD and Wisconsin digger!

Thiltzy
12-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Dave, Kray(Ray) will be up for a couple of weeks. He wants to get together but weather might prevent that. Hopefully the ground clears.

Digger Don
12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
What an incredible year you had. Those finds are awesome.
Best of luck to you in 2014

coinnut
12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't think I hunted with the hippie this year? George? miss you man!

He's an elusive creature for sure :lol: Lucky for you, cause I would just eat into your copper count too!! :girlcry: Dave you had a stellar year on top of other stellar years. I may just write a book about you and get rich :cheesysmile: Great job man!!!

kray
12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
What'll a great year, Dave! Pretty much a lifetime of finds for us mortals. Love the CW relics; its amazing how much of that stuff is found up there.
As Todd, says, I'll be up next week. Would love to dig, but I know the snows in the way. Sucks!

Lodge Scent
12-16-2013, 08:47 PM
You certainly kept us inspired all year Dave! Great finds!! Looking at your pics, I had forgotton how many really nice shoe buckles you dug this year. :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
thanks everyone.todd & Ray sounds like a plan.maybe we can kidnap those 2 other secretive dudes named Del & Coinnut and get them out too!

zrickkid
12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Man you had a great year. As a history major and a collector of George Washington items I think that spill of GW buttons was the find of a lifetime, especially for me. :envious: We could never find something like that here in the flatlands of Illinois. Maybe if i visit my sister in connecticut you and your buddies could show me a nice hunt or two. :crossfingers: As for the rest of the stuff you are so lucky to live in such a target rich environment. Keep up the good work. Your finds truly are inspirational to me and what the hobby is all about. thanks for sharing!

coinnut
12-16-2013, 09:06 PM
thanks everyone.todd & Ray sounds like a plan.maybe we can kidnap those 2 other secretive dudes named Del & Coinnut and get them out too!

I believe Del can be bought with candy :smitten:

Timewarpdigger
12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Congratulations on a great year of unbelievable finds. Hope next year brings just as much success. HH

Epi-hunter
12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Just amazing Dave :wow: I really have no words. Your finds are incredible! Thank you for sharing them with us! I am sure that 2014 will be an even bigger year. :happydance01:

kray
12-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Sounds like a reunion of a hunt we did 2 winters ago. It would make my year to hang out with you all-stars again!

Thiltzy
12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
:smitten:. as for the pictures of you on your #$$ in the snow George and i will take a few of those in 8x10 glossy :lol: Dan, I can do one even better than a 8x10 glossy. In this video you can watch the aftermath of a white hornets assault on Dave. Listen carefully to the part when Dave asks me if I am filming:devilish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9P5eKKG9sg&list=TLS2X6vZSPEB2jgAhJn8EpOINK3lh9XA8w

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-17-2013, 07:49 PM
don't look like we'll be getting out.6-7 inches of snow up here

kray
12-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Sux. At least it'll be a white Christmas in CT. Maybe it'll melt before I have to leave.
We're expecting 50-70 degree weather over the weekend here in Va.

Bell-Two
12-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Dave I concur with all the other posters you had a year filled with awesome and significant finds, your posts have entertained and enriched all of us who love this hobby. Even more important I feel is your kindness and desire to help all the rest of us who post on this forum. I felt great pleasure when you have complimented some of my finds words of encouragement mean so much coming from a detectorist of your caliber. I am looking forward to another year of your great finds and excellent posts. God Bless and have a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year! :thumbsup02:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-20-2013, 01:05 AM
thanks so much to all of you for the kind words,very touching.wishing you all continued success and a blessed 2014!

The Rebel
12-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Another stellar year Dave! :clapping: Blasted snow :mad: :bangshead01: I'm dying to get out as well.

All the best for 2014. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! :thumbsup01: