PDA

View Full Version : My Largest Clad Haul Ever. Kennedy half, wheaties and 925 ring.

JdsCoins
12-17-2013, 06:52 PM
After doing a lot of research I drove about a half hour today to a town I've never been to before. My first stop was a TINY off the map park tucked away in the corner of a small neighborhood. It was on my radar to check out, because on the streets by it there are old homes mixed with the new development dating back to the early 1900's.

So what I though was going to be a quick scouting mission for old coins before I moved on, turned into the rest of my day. :lol:

My first signal was a surface quarter, then I hit 2 wheaties a foot a part from each other, a 1936 and 1955 D. Somehow I always hit the old coins first? :dontknow: Then didn't find any more for the next 4+ hours.

I hit the ring almost an hour in which sounded close to a quarter. Which leads me to a question for you jewelry gurus out there. Have you ever seen genuine sterling rings with a coating of silver plating or something similar that flakes away? I do believe it is sterling underneath, but there's a top coating that's flaking off. :dontknow:

Strangely enough, the half dollar was a foot away just like the wheaties. Gotta love when the good finds come in clusters. :hystericallaugh:

I dug a total of 241 coins with a clad total of $22.00. About half of the coins came from the tot lot, which I decided to hunt when I realized how many coins were in the park (was hoping to get a gold ring out of there)

I did some filming and video should be on my YT channel in less than an hour. :)

Ronandari
12-17-2013, 07:16 PM
What a haul!:shocked05: I hope your not too sore tomorrow.

Full Metal Digger
12-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Gosh JD, I don't know about the ring. Sometimes they plate 925 with rhodium but when it peals off the silver underneath is a flat gray color. The red looks like copper oxidation. Sorry but it looks bad to me. Please don't hate me now. Dave.

Digger Don
12-17-2013, 07:27 PM
You had an excellent day of hunting. Congrats
Don't you love it when you stop just scope a spot out and it turns into a spot like you found
GTG to check out your video

JdsCoins
12-17-2013, 07:42 PM
What a haul!:shocked05: I hope your not too sore tomorrow.

I was sore yesterday already and almost didn't go hunting today, so I assume tomorrow won't be the greatest. :rofl:

JdsCoins
12-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Gosh JD, I don't know about the ring. Sometimes they plate 925 with rhodium but when it peals off the silver underneath is a flat gray color. The red looks like copper oxidation. Sorry but it looks bad to me. Please don't hate me now. Dave.

Dave, I don't hate you..... much. :hystericallaugh:On this one I'm leaning toward agreeing with you. It doesn't look good. :bummer:
I'm going to give it a big scratch on my test stone and see what happens.

Timewarpdigger
12-17-2013, 07:50 PM
That's an awful lot of digging but a great haul. Congrats be safe and HH.

JdsCoins
12-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Just an update, I scratched it twice REALLY hard on my stone and it's silver all the way through. So no idea on the coating and oxidation. But it is sterling. :bananadance:

Johan K
12-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Great find ! Lots of coins !! Like your video !!

OxShoeDrew
12-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Wow, that's some haul. I've never found a Kennedy half. I'm glad your ring turned out silver.
nice job.

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Ah, to be young enough to dig 241 coins in one day. :envious:

Congrats on all the finds, JD!

coinnut
12-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Ah, to be young enough to dig 241 coins in one day. :envious:

Congrats on all the finds, JD!

:lol: Ain't that the truth. The only way I'm digging 241 coins is if 200 of them are in one hole :thumbsup01:

giant056
12-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Super haul for sure :thumbsup01:
:congrats:

PL8MAN
12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Now that's a lot of digging ! Congrats
Glen

skribnodsister
12-28-2013, 07:36 PM
:wow: that is a lot of digging! I'd have to take a week off work just to recuperate from that hunt!:hystericallaugh: Congrats on an awesome hunt! :cheering: