PDA

View Full Version : 4 copper spill*snowy cellar hole hunt

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Todd & me were itching to get out since the snow fell & today seemed like the perfect day to do it.warm temps snow melting and praying the whole ride that it wasn't too deep where we were heading.
Got there at 8am foggy,snowy but warm.looked like about 2-3 inches of snow in the woods.not too bad we been out in deeper stuff last year.
Found the site after about a 1/2 mile hike in.looked like an early center chimney cellar hole with a starter home or older cellar hole nearby.targets were tough going at 1st but later in the day our coils heated up.i got some buttons here n there.had a nice solid 92 VDI thinkin silver i dig a solid square of lead :shocked04:. one cool find and wish it wasn't busted is a monogramed letter "G" or "C" on a broken crotal bell piece.
later on i dug a nice complete shoe buckle.so towards the end of the day i get a nice coin reading.i call todd over to check the signal, he's like yeah dude that's a copper.so, dig down and flip the shovel of dirt out and see the disc but under the coin is another one.2 KGII's in the same shovel full. i fill in the plug .stand up swing to check.like 4 inches over i get another signal,i'm like todd i think theres another one.so I open up the hole pin point and see a smaller coin in the hole.pick it up and see another one still in the hole.another small copper.4 coins all holed.2 are smaller KGII half farthing? and no clue on the other one?French maybe? can anyone ID it? should be enough on obverse to make an ID I think. the 1749 half farthing is in awesome shape!
Todd is swinging like 5 feet over from my pocket spill and he gets a 3 copper pocket spill! :shocked04:

so while cleaning my finds and get to the square lead block running water over it.i'm like what the hell? only thing i can figure is it's a hand made lead ink well? has some stuff carved into sides DDD?
was a fun hunt.
we both ended up with 4 coppers each.we both got shoe buckles. funny how on most hunts we match each others finds. great to go home knowing we both had a great day detecting.

milco
12-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Crazy snowy finds! Congrats on the multiple spills you guys had! WTG!!

kray
12-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Holy crap, I'm drooling! Beautiful finds, love the inkwell. And the coins, and the shoe buckle, and the buttons....
Looks like the weather is warming a bit!

Lodge Scent
12-21-2013, 10:03 PM
A 4 copper spill and each one holed :shocked03: It doesn't get much cooler than that. That farthing is a stunner! Inscribed lead thingy, ornate bell thingy, real nice shoe buckle .... that hunt is a :perfect10: any day.

Looking some more at that lead thingy.....that would be awesome if it was an inkwell ....a real nice find

Thiltzy
12-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Sure was a great hunt today Dave. I am glad we decided to go for it today:detecting:The farthing looks fabulous and the shoe buckle also. I don't remember seeing the lead thingy but it is intriguing. Weird how it almost always ends up that we both find equal booty:crazy: Gratz on a great hunt. I post my finds tomorrow

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Sure was a great hunt today Dave. I am glad we decided to go for it today:detecting:The farthing looks fabulous and the shoe buckle also. I don't remember seeing the lead thingy but it is intriguing. Weird how it almost always ends up that we both find equal booty:crazy: Gratz on a great hunt. I post my finds tomorrow
thanks todd! yeah remember when we were putting the iron spoon bowls on the wall i showed you the block of lead it gave a solid 92 i thought it was gonna be silver.had no idea it was hollow at the time

OxShoeDrew
12-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Spectacular hunt :happy: Not a little bit of everything, but a lot! That 1747 is just beautiful.

aloldstuff
12-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Another nice hunt for the both of ya. Love seeing you guys and your coppers (hate the bee and wasps stories).

wild willy
12-22-2013, 08:31 AM
awesome guys! that has to be a virgin site.

Bell-Two
12-22-2013, 08:37 AM
That has to be a great site to hit again! Beautiful coppers and the inkwell is really awesome...love this kind of stuff! :yes:

del
12-22-2013, 09:47 AM
great coin spill Dave :confused:because they were all holed i'm wondering if they were all attached to the same thing (part of a bracelet or all sewn into a garment and it was cast aside at some point). very interesting to say the least:thumbsup01: (ok tell the truth Dave bet you said why couldn't of these all been Connecticut's or fugio's instead of KG's ;)) great hunt and i agree with Willy 8 coppers at a site in one hunt sounds like a very unhit or lightly unhit place . congrats my friend:perfect10:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-22-2013, 09:50 AM
great coin spill Dave :confused:because they were all holed i'm wondering if they were all attached to the same thing (part of a bracelet or all sewn into a garment and it was cast aside at some point). very interesting to say the least:thumbsup01: (ok tell the truth Dave bet you said why couldn't of these all been Connecticut's or fugio's instead of KG's ;)) great hunt and i agree with Willy 8 coppers at a site in one hunt sounds like a very unhit or lightly unhit place . congrats my friend:perfect10:
thanks dan,that's what we figured lost on a string.weird thing was mine were all 1700's and todds spill 5 feet away were all matron heads no holes.any idea on the mystery coin? french? and would you agree on the ink well theory? it's gotta be one

del
12-22-2013, 11:14 AM
looks pretty close to inkwells i've seen before , how many coins in Todd's coin spill ?? the other coin is a french coin

The Rebel
12-22-2013, 03:06 PM
WOW Dave. You guy has a great hunt!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-22-2013, 03:22 PM
looks pretty close to inkwells i've seen before , how many coins in Todd's coin spill ?? the other coin is a french coin
todds spill was 3 matrons and he found a 4th in another wooded field earlier.any idea on the proper name of the french coin and age?been tryng to find a photo and not having much luck

del
12-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Dave it looks like a Liard de France 1643 to 1715 but you'd have to ask IP to narrow it down more than that . He's much better than I at id'ing variety types of French colonials.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Dave it looks like a Liard de France 1643 to 1715 but you'd have to ask IP to narrow it down more than that . He's much better than I at id'ing variety types of French colonials.
ok cool thanks.i sent him a message yesterday still waiting on his reply.
yeah thats it for sure

Timewarpdigger
12-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Congrats on the finds and I would assume a return trip is a definite. LOL

coinnut
12-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Great finds Dave...yep I was leaning towards a New France colony coin (Canada) similar ot this one

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=new+france+colonial+coin&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=0958D2F1B4598D31FC115763210F0F77B7B92494&selectedIndex=63

That place is old!!! I smell Pine tree shillings :smitten:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Great finds Dave...yep I was leaning towards a New France colony coin (Canada) similar ot this one

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=new+france+colonial+coin&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=0958D2F1B4598D31FC115763210F0F77B7B92494&selectedIndex=63

That place is old!!! I smell Pine tree shillings :smitten:
a pine tree would be nice and this time I would kick Todd out of my area! :pirate:

coop
12-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Glad to see your still able to get out, Nice digs!!!!

coinnut
12-23-2013, 07:39 PM
a pine tree would be nice and this time I would kick Todd out of my area! :pirate:

Just make sure you don't send him into the Pine tree area:hystericallaugh:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Just make sure you don't send him into the Pine tree area:hystericallaugh:
this is true!