PDA

View Full Version : Got out again

coinnut
12-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Del and I headed out to the same spot we have been hitting as of late. We each had found some nice coppers and other goods there, so as Dan said...lets keep at it as long as it is giving us finds. But detecting most of the day in the pouring rain was not too much fun:badday:It started out slow for Dan and I, but as soon as I went closer to the cellar hole, I started finding things. I decided to hunt around the well because I really didn't have a good game plan. We have been over these areas already, but today the ground was saturated and it helped a lot. I immediately got a small farthing size colonial coin, followed closely by a Large cent. Then a nice rosette, small decorated button, some neat eyeglasses, and some more buttons. By that time, it was time to wrap it up and for me to go home and go to work:rolleyes: Turns out the Large Cent is a nice 1805 Draped Bust, and the mystery coin we were intrigued by? I think it's a 1696 William III Irish Half penny. At first I had it upside down and it looked like a Liberty Cap of some sorts, but later saw the date and flipped it over and it was a harp :lol: It started to crumble on the edges. I'm surprised any of it survived for an ID. Dan, it was worth the hunt in the rain. :thumbsup01:

fsa46
12-24-2013, 05:09 AM
:wow: what a hunt. WTG George.

Well, I would have won some money had anyone bet with me. If I recall correctly, you said something to the effect that, " well, this may be our last hunt of the year " in your 12/14/2013 post. It was a no brainier, it takes more than a little snow or rain to keep the two of you out of the woods.

OxShoeDrew
12-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Excellent George, love the colors and detail of the draped. Congrats on the 1600s coin! What is that rosette made out of?

Lodge Scent
12-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Great digs. That DB has some nice detail. That half penny may be crumbling but any 17th century coin is a bonus find ! The most interesting find may be those eyeglass frames :thumbsup01:

del
12-24-2013, 02:11 PM
wow :congrats: that was worth getting rained on all day and getting pneumonia :cheering: great looking draped bust and look its not a 1803 too:grin: and a William III farthing :wow:this place might be a bit older than we first thought . some interesting coins popping up here .
great hunt George :thumbsup02:

coinnut
12-24-2013, 02:29 PM
wow :congrats: that was worth getting rained on all day and getting pneumonia :cheering: great looking draped bust and look its not a 1803 too:grin: and a William III farthing :wow:this place might be a bit older than we first thought . some interesting coins popping up here .
great hunt George :thumbsup02:

Is it a farthing or a cheap version of a half penny? I couldn't find a picture of a farthing with that design. I'm wondering if they tried to push these as half pennies, and that is another reason why they were not very accepted by the Irish. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out. I altered the '03 cent to an '05 so I wouldn't get labeled as the '03 guy :lol: We were lucky to get out once again

del
12-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Is it a farthing or a cheap version of a half penny? I couldn't find a picture of a farthing with that design. I'm wondering if they tried to push these as half pennies, and that is another reason why they were not very accepted by the Irish. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out.

yes i was just looking and it seems it is indeed a half penny :wow: it went over so well with the people that they only minted it for the one year :rofl: bet they felt they were getting "jipped" with it only being about a farthings size worth of copper

Thiltzy
12-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Wow George great saves on some oldies. Nice find on the spectacles and I never thought I would says this but, I think you guys are more die hard than Dave and I. I would doubt that you would catch me detecting in the pouring rain, snow yes, but not pouring rain:eyebrow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Wow George great saves on some oldies. Nice find on the spectacles and I never thought I would says this but, I think you guys are more die hard than Dave and I. I would doubt that you would catch me detecting in the pouring rain, snow yes, but not pouring rain:eyebrow:
speak for yourself! I've been saturated:badday: numerous times elbows George! tell him:poke: awesome finds dude! and.........

coinnut
12-24-2013, 03:23 PM
:wow: what a hunt. WTG George.

Well, I would have won some money had anyone bet with me. If I recall correctly, you said something to the effect that, " well, this may be our last hunt of the year " in your 12/14/2013 post. It was a no brainier, it takes more than a little snow or rain to keep the two of you out of the woods.

Yep Frank, we snuck out again...you should have bet some money :lol:

Excellent George, love the colors and detail of the draped. Congrats on the 1600s coin! What is that rosette made out of?

Drew, the rosette is generally made of lead and coated with a silver finish.

You wouldn't detect in the rain for a pine tree shilling? That is what Dan tells me we are going to find....and I fall for it every time :thumbsup01:

del
12-24-2013, 03:40 PM
check out your spectacles with this website you might be able to date them .

http://www.antiquespectacles.com/guide/guide_to_assist.htm

The Rebel
12-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Those are some great saves!

coinnut
12-25-2013, 09:43 AM
speak for yourself! I've been saturated:badday: numerous times elbows George! tell him:poke: awesome finds dude! and.........

Dave has never been out in the rain :badday:We tried to get him to detect in it, but he just :girlcry:................... :rofl:

Timewarpdigger
12-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Congrats on the finds Coinnut!! The Draped Bust looks like it is great shape considering and the glasses i would have to say I haven't seen before except in a museum. WOW!!! I know if I found one of those half pennies I would be in shock for a week. Awesome!!! Safe & HH

Bell-Two
12-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Man that is a great Draped Bust Large Cent and all the other finds are super too! :thumbsup01: